You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:11 am 

I love my cereal, adn have been going through withdrawal from not being able to indulge in in Banana nut muslix cereal!
So, I am trying to get creative( hence the need for coconut, adn dried fruit!)....
Anyway, I bought Weetabix cereal yesterday as there was a list of their ingredients on the box, but not "allergen warning".
Just before I opened it this evening, i thought I would check on their website ( the address being ont he box, but no tel. number)...
www.weetabix.ca
Did not think they made other types of cereal, but surprise, surprise. They also make cereals with almonds, adn hazelnuts....
They have a facility in Coburg, Ontario.....and being a small town, I just cannot fathom them they would be producing the non-nut version in another building....
So, I sent them an inquiry via email a little while ago....and will wait for their reply....In the meantime, my Weetabix sits on my kitchen counter, unopened. Guilty until proven innocent!!!!
But! While I am waiting for the kind people to write back, is there anyone out there that may have the answer I am looking for?????
Thought I'd throw it out!

Oh and.....(LOL)..Last one for now!
Ocean Spray Craisins....nothing on labelling again indication re nut allergies, though they do have same above mentioned product with nuts..I have written to the company...waiting for answer. No info on their website..
www.oceanspray.ca
Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:23 pm 

Don't throw that cereal away yet. :wink:

I contacted them two years ago and I was told that Weetabix is made on a dedicated processline. They felt the only risk of contamination would be at the farm level. (That was there wording.)

Since my information is so old - I think it's a good idea to wait until you get a response, but hopefully it is still safe.

btw, what alleriges do you have? If peanuts/nuts is all you need to avoid, cheerios have a few fruit already added cereals that are quite good. I eat the berries regularly. We bought the strawberry & banana but I haven't tried it yet.

Kellogg's and General Mills both label their cereals if there is a risk of cross contam. with nuts/peanuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:54 pm 

My peanut/nut allergic daughter, husband and I all really like "raisin bran crunch". It was surprisingly free if all nuts/milk/eggs.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:17 pm 

Thanks for getting back on the Weetabix Qn....I have not heard back from the company as yet. Hopefully in the next few days!
Will keep you posted.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:18 pm 

Thanks for getting back on the Weetabix Qn....I have not heard back from the company as yet. Hopefully in the next few days!
Will keep you posted.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:28 pm 

Sorry, I just posted a note stating that Weetabix Rep had not written back. I went back into my email account, and there was new email....
Read on!
:lol:
Hi Sharoise

Weetabix Biscuits are made on a dedicated line that only processes
wheat, sugar, malt, salt, and vitamins. The line is isolated from our
other packaging lines so that there is virtually zero chance of
cross-contamination from our other process lines for traces of nuts.

This cereal would probably be one of the best choices on the market for
someone with nut allergies.

Thanks
Carmen

-----Original Message-----
From: Weetabix Web Site [mailto:customerservice@weetabix.ca]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:41 am 

Excellent. I'm glad they have continued making it in a dedicated line.

Post subject: Ocean Spray responds!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:47 pm 

Hi..I received the following email from Ocean Spray re their craisans...which are oh so yummy. Its the only dried fruit I can find out there that is now confirmed to not be produced in a faility that.....

Read on!January 23, 2006

Dear Shairose:
Thank you for visiting us at www.oceanspray.ca.

The Craisins® sweetened dried cranberries have no traces of nuts in them. The Ocean Spray® Trail Mixes are packaged in a different facility. We hope this information helps.

If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to e-mail us again or contact us by phone at 1-800-662-3263 Monday through Friday 9-4 EST. When responding, please reference the case number located at the bottom of this e-mail.
Thank you,

Jo Ann
Ocean Spray Consumer Affairs

# 5,362,714