You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Kashi Foods
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:49 pm 

So I'm on a health program right now, and my nutritionist told me to try some Kashi cereals.

I'm allergic to peanuts/treenuts and I know Kashi makes food with those allergens as well...

This is what was on the F.A.Q.'s page on Kashi's site:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allergen inquiries

Question:

I have several food allergies. Is there a possibility of cross contamination in your facility?
Answer:

Our production lines are thoroughly cleaned between allergen containing products and we follow good manufacturing practices. We have validated (through testing) our allergen cleaning processes in all of our facilities. We are very concerned about food allergies and want to ensure that our products are safe for food allergic consumers to eat. Scientific evidence has shown that consumers with peanut and tree nut allergies can have a severe reaction to amounts that are below the current detectable limits based on existing technology. For this reason, we have chosen to warn consumers allergic to peanuts and tree nuts of the potential for extremely low levels by using a may contain statement.

For all other top 8 allergens - if the product contains the allergen, it will be listed below the ingredient statement. If it is not listed below the ingredient statement, we are confident that the product is safe for consumption. Please trust the labeling and continue to check it for any changes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you all think of this response?

Post subject: Re: Kashi Foods
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:32 am 

Hmmm....That is very interesting. I eat a couple of the Kashi cereals and have never had a problem. I think I called a couple of years ago before trying them, and was satisfied with the answers I got at the time. Maybe it's time to call again. Thanks for posting this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

Statements like these make it tough. Maybe one day when they've deduced safe 'threshhold' levels, I'll feel ok with such.

Meantime with my p.a. reaction history, I personally wouldn't go there, since I still think there's too much risk. I tend to think about human error when running such lines every day, mistakes can happen.

Besides, I love Enjoy's Life's Very Berry. I prefer to eat that rather than chance even a minor reaction. I guess I'm on the conservative side here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:37 am 

I agree. If you know something is safe and tastes good then sometimes it isn't worth the risk to try a different product. Especially if that new item sets off even the smallest of warning bells. How I see it is if I have an doubt...don't feed it to DS.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:04 pm 

I just got off the phone with Kashi and they gave me an answer I feel pretty confident with.

They said if there's ANY chance of cross-contamination there is always a warning on the label. They told me that they make things with peanuts/treenutes completely separately from other products. The person on the phone said if there's no warning they are confident that the product is safe.