You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:39 pm 

Just an update on this issue. I contacted Duncan Hines (Pinnacle Foods) today and was met with the same response.

The rep advised their product might contain nuts/tree nuts so I questioned why it didn't say anything on the box as I figured it was law. She could not answer to Canadian poicies.

I have now sent an email to the Health Canada to see what the laws are governing the "May contain"" issue on products imported from the US.

Let's see what they have to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:35 pm 

"May contains" are still not required by canadian law. There are many companies who have chosen to include them, and advise those with allergies, and many others who still do not include them, even though they should be there. So, a product with no "may contains" can either be free of traces of other allergens...or full of traces of unlisted allergens. I phone the manufacturer of every new prdoct to see why there is an absence of a "may contain" warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:01 pm 

Thanks for the info, I did not know that. I guess I should be more dilagent, I thought if it didn't say then everything was okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:43 pm 

Remember that "may contains" are not covered by law in the U.S. either. The new U.S. Food Allergen and Consumer Protection Act (FALPCA)

Quote:
requires that food labels "provide, clear, consistent and reliable ingredient information."

Food labels must disclose allergens in laymen’s terms. For example, if a product contains egg or egg products, the label should state "contains egg," instead of forcing consumers to understand terms like phosvitin, lysozyme and livetin, which also may indicate the presence of eggs.

The legislation takes effect January 1, 2006.

"The ingredients will be listed in everyday language, not in terminology that only scientists can understand," said Eileen Sexton, director of communication for the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network.

FALCPA requires that food manufacturers identify, in plain, common language, the presence of any of the eight major food allergens, which are milk, egg, peanut, tree nut, fish, shellfish, wheat and soy.

(Source: http://themonitor.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=8119&Section=Valley%20Life)

So FALCPA does not cover "may contain" warnings either.

This whole thing "may contain" thing drives me crazy. As far as I know, there are no guidelines in existence that help companies decide what should have a "may contain" warning and what doesn't need it. It's totally up to them to figure it out. It must drive the companies crazy too.

And the new Canadian guidelines that are coming out (one day...) will not deal with it either. The focus of the updates are plain language, not precautionary warnings.

Sigh.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:48 am 

My son's school put a warning in their newsletter that Duncan Hines cake mixes aren't peanut/nut free. It seems a lot of parents thought the same... that if there is no allergy warning then it's safe. I'm so glad that the school decided to inform the parents this way. It's always reassuring to see examples of allergy awareness in the school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:12 pm 

Thank you for taking the time to email us. The lines our Duncan Hines®
Mixes and Frostings are run on, are cleaned very well in between. If any
mix contains peanuts or tree nuts, either the whole day is dedicated to
those products or they are run at the end of day. For issues as sensitive
as an allergic reaction, the best suggestion would be not to consume the
product in case of a chance of cross contamination. Contact us again if
we can be of assistance in the future.
[/quote]

Well, there you go. To me, that's too risky. They don't want allergic people as customers obviously, so guess what? That's more than 5% of the population because it include allergic people's immediate families.

Another option is "Our Compliments" products, which is Sobey's store line (it is sold in other stores, but I'm not sure which), marks allergens very clearly on all their products. (If a store brand can do it so diligently, why can't big national brands?) Now I don't know if they have cake mixes, I will check next time I'm in and let you know what the warnings are, if they are any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:43 pm 

Another option is Betty Crocker! I have contaced Betty Crocker personally, as have others on the chat, and the products are peanut/nut free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:43 pm 

Good to know, Julie!