You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:33 pm 

I have been using Nice 'n Easy for years. This week, my regular colour was sold out so I decided it was time for a change. I did the patch test - inside my elbow. I became extremely itchy and took a benedryl. The following day, the itchiness returned and it was all red. I called Clairol. The woman I spoke with said they do not add any peanut ingredients, but they cannot keep track of what their suppliers use.

I wasn't very nice when she said the *can't*. I told her it isn't that they *can't* it's that they *can't be bothered*.

So, I'm looking for something else - or maybe it's time to admit I'm old. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:56 pm 

Hi AnnaMarie,
I have multiple food allergies, but have also become sensitive to Yellow Dye and sulfites. I colored my hair (salon and home) for over 10 years. Then, I had a bad mystery allergy episode a couple of years ago and was hospitalized. Started reacting to the strangest things. Of course, I had never had a reaction to hair dye; I was still focusing on foods and meds. I was at the salon one day for color; same one they had used several times before. I had even checked the label for sulfites on a previous visit. Within 5 minutes of getting the color on my hair my scalp was tingling/itching. Then, the flushing started. I was popping Benadryl while she was washing out the color. I went home, still itchy, and showered and washed my hair again. Then I started getting GI illness (usually one of my food allergy symptoms). At this point I high-tailed it to the ER. I actually had hives on my head (I almost never have hives, GI symptoms instead). On my next haircut visit, I re-read the ingredients. Sulfites were not listed on one product, but it turns out they mix 2 parts together; the 2nd part I had not read. Of course, my stylist felt terrible! But I had colored my hair many times before. Who knew? I have also heard there is a chemical PPD that many people react to from hair color. This may be your problem.
By the way, my hair is medium to light brown and the gray is coming in silver. It is showing up in "chunks and streaks". Several people have thought I am frosting my hair.
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:41 am 

I called L'Oreal, and two of the brands of hair colour they make do not include peanut oil or sesame seed oil. I wrote the information down, but can't find it right now. I know Preferance was OK for me, so I'm going to try it.

My natural colour is dark brown - and it's going very salt and pepper. I also don't like the texture of it anymore. It ages me by at least 10 years.