Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Zoo And Peanuts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:30 pm 

Hi,
My family and I are planning on taking a vacation in a couple of weeks. I emailed the Bomanville Zoo to see if peanuts were fed to the animals. The response I got was all the feed could contain, the feed they sell in the gift shoppe may contain, and when they clean up there is usually residue all over and empty peanut and almond bags everywhere. This was the first true vacation we were going to take since my 3year old's diagnosis 18 months ago. I had just got my comfort level to a point where we were going to stay away overnight etc... Has anyone encountered this either at this zoo or any other? Did you still go? Just looking for some advice.

Thanks,
Karen

3 year old twins 1 PA and the other NKA
5 year old boy NKA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:45 pm 

We went to the Calgary Zoo and it had no peanuts that I saw anywhere. The only foods that I saw for feeding the animals was a grain food for the water fowel. Not much help I know, and they even had signs regarding allergies reminding people to ask the food vendors what the ingredients were. I was impressed with the Calgary zoo. I hope that your trip goes well.

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:04 pm 

We've never been to the Bowmanville zoo but we go to the Toronto Zoo quite often.There are no visible peanuts that I've seen there either. DD doesn't feed the animals there though.

We recently went to Santa's Village and we did let her feed Santa's reindeer there and she absolutely loved it and she still talks about it! But we made sure she didn't touch anything except the food while she fed them and then we all "washed" our hands with wetones followed by Purel. I was a bit freaked/worried when she was feeding them but I'm so glad we let her. I would also let her do it again too - following all the precautions again.

Hope you have a good trip.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:56 pm 

We've been to our local zoo without any problems. There isn't any opportunity for my son to feed the animals - but if there was, I'd just make sure there was no nuts in the feed (or we wouldn't partake) and then do a thorough hand washing after. When they say that there are empty almond and peanut bags everywhere...what does that mean? In areas where the animal keepers tend to the animals or in public areas? It sounds to me like they are giving you a "worse case scenario" for fear of potential problems. Inquire about the "nut bags everywhere" situation and then if it's not in public areas my advice would be to go and have fun and just be as cautious as you would be whenever you go out to the park, or elsewhere and I'm sure you'll have a great time!