You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:03 pm 

When my son was diagnosed with the peanut allergy I needed to read about it. From what I've read so far, some people are not getting the information they need. I thought it might be helpful to post about resources that we have found helpful. Here is a book that I found help.

The Peanut Allergy Answer Book by Michael C. Young, M.D.

ds 2 - (milk)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:25 am 

The ones I love:

Caring for Your Child with Severe Food Allergies (Lisa Cipriano Collins) - A MUST for all parents of FA kids

Stories from Parents' Hearts: Essays by Parents of Children with Food Allergies (FAAN) - very validating and inspiring book

The Complete Peanut Allergy Handbook (Scott Sicherer, M.D.) - excellent book - even discusses the psychological aspect, and most of the info can be extrapolated for any food allergen

The Parent's Guide to Food Allergies (Marianne S. Barber) - lots of good info

The Canadian Allergy and Asthma Handbook (Dr. B. Zimmerman, Dr. M. Gold, Dr. S. Levy, Dr. S. Feanny) - lots of helpful info in simple language

See also http://ottawaasg.com/OASG2006/modules.p ... page&pid=4 for other books and videos that are good, including ones for kids.

K

Post subject: re: helpful books
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:38 pm 

I'd like to add some childrens' books to the list, as these have proven invaluable to us in educating DD - and her friends and friends' parents - about her allergy. I think these are all available through amazon.com.

Allie The Allergic Elephant: A Children's Story of Peanut Allergies, by Nicole Smith, 2002 ...Aimed at very young children, this story does a good job of describing allergy symptoms, but I found it a bit light on explaining the precautions.

Peter Can't Eat Peanuts, by Nadine O'Reilly, 2005 ...This one is a rhyming story, about the day Peter first reacted, and the precautions he and his family now take to keep him safe.

Mommy, Is This Safe To Eat?, by Christina Black, 2006 ...DD's current favorite, I think because it's illustrated with photos instead of drawings. The first time we read it, she exclaimed, "Mummy, look! He's a real boy! And he's just like me!" As the title suggests, it's focussed only on the food issues.

For older, school-age kids (DD isn't quite ready for them yet):

The Peanut-Free Cafe, by Gloria Koster, 2006 ...Written from the point of view of a non-anaphylactic classmate who gives up his favorite food -- peanut butter -- so that he can help a peanut-allergic student feel included.

The Peanut Butter Jam, by Elizabeth Sussman Nassau, 2001 ...Teasing from a classmate pushes Sam into taking a dare; a full-blown anaphylactic reaction ensues. Good as a starting point for talking about teasing, bullying, and feeling different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:35 pm 

Great choices - I agree that reading "allergy" books to kids is a great idea and very empowering for them. My guys love all of them, in particular the Alexander the Elephant books (school, Christmas, Hallow'en, etc.), which I also find to be quite good. I really like The Peanut Butter Jam for slightly older kids.

There is a good book about Cody the Allergic Cow for kids with a dairy allergy too - you can see a picture at http://aaia.ca/en/products.htm (scroll down a bit). The only thing I don't like about the book is the picture of the cow with his swelled lips (it looks very silly), but it makes my kids squeal with laughter every time, so I guess they like it. (I do not at all encourage them to laugh at people having allergic reactions - but this picture really does look funny...!)

K.