You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:10 pm 

Hello to everyone and just a heads up to all with peanut allergies and asthma. (Sorry if this has already been posted earlier).
I just found out that the COMBIVENT INHALER has peanut oil in them. :shock:
Something that I will be talking to the Dr. about VERY SOON.

http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum21/HTML/000071.html

http://www.drugs.com/combivent.html

Same for FLOVENT

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-8253-FLUTICASONE+-+ORAL+AEROSOL+INHALER.aspx?drugid=75133&drugname=Fluticasone+Inhl If anyone reading this has any ides or information on what is the best/safest traeatment for asthmatic/peanut allergy children during allergy season, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:53 pm 

Quoted from the second link:

Quote:
Do not use the Combivent inhaler if you have a soya lecithin allergy (e.g., an allergy to soybeans or peanuts).

Both links are old dates. Does anyone know if this information is still accurate? The only people in my family that use inhalers do not have any food allergies, so I've never checked them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:42 am 

The allergy info for Flovent is under the Precautions tab in Alan's link above:

Quote:
Before taking fluticasone, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or have a severe allergy (anaphylaxis) to lactose or milk proteins (not lactose intolerance); or to peanuts, soybean, or soya lecithin; or if you have any other allergies. (For patients using the fluticasone HFA inhaler, the peanut/soybean/soya lecithin allergy warning does not apply.)

My son is allergic to peanuts and has been using Flovent before he developed the allergy. I checked his current prescription and is it the HFA inhaler so, according to the info above, he is not at risk. However, I don't know if his prescriptions were always HFA (the info above doesn't make it clear what specific form of fluticasone is not recommended for allergies or what other forms do exist).

Anyway, I did find this info about HFA inhalers: http://www.gsk.ca/en/health_info/flovent.php The site says the HFA formulations were completed by the end of 2002 and my son started the inhaler in 2001. But like I said, it is not clear if the info above refers to CFC or what other form. Either way, my son never had a reaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:05 am 

Wow, I didn't think Flovent was included in this list.

I talked to our pharmacist about 10 days ago and she mentioned Combivent and also Atrovent as containing peanut oil. She also said these were mostly used to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Nicole said
Quote:
I did cause a bit of a stir when I asked the nurse what medication was in the nebulizer. She said Ventolin and Atrovent. I asked her if Atrovent was the one that contain peanuts and she immediately went to check with another nurse who said that it was! She immediately came back to turn the nebulizer off and spoke to the dr. who said to just give her Ventolin. But then they Googled Atrovent, they found out that the peanut ingredient is only in the aerosol inhaler.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:45 am 

It sounds to me like those asthma meds might have soya lecithin in them? And that due to crossreactivity with peanuts they are contraindicted for people who are PA as well? If so, I'd be interested in hearing a risk assessment for people who are PA only.

The reason I'm wondering about this is a resident doctor told me a medication (fentanyl--not an asthma med) was contraindicted for patients with a peanut allergy---and from my research, this medication contained soy-derived ingredients (and egg I might add) but does not contain peanut. This resident doctor just knew this info. off of the top of her head---so there is a slight chance that she might have misremembered. If she's correct, however, perhaps medications with soy are contraindicted for the peanut allergic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:35 pm 

Flovent Has Peanut Oil?! :shock: I've had asthma my whole life [13 WHOLE years.. :roll: ] and i have a Life-Threatening allergy to peanuts...but i've taken Flovent many times before and nothing happened...I even took it once when i was having an anaphylactic shock to peanuts and it seemed to help for a bit...has anyone actually gone into an anaphylactic shock from taking Flovent? :? [color=red][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:31 pm 

xosoccer_chickox,

Check your prescription for Flovent. If it says HFA Inhaler it does NOT contain peanut oil (i.e. the peanut/soybean/soya lecithin allergy warning does not apply). See the links in the posts above for more info.

Last edited by Storm on Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:57 pm 

soccor chick; it looks to me like some inhalers have soya lecithin in them. Since peanut is related to soy, some people do avoid both -- although, even some people allergic to soy can tolerate soy lecithin.

Has anyone confirmed whether or not any inhalers actually have peanut oil in them?