You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:04 pm 

Hello,

My daughter is allergic to PEANUTS. Yesterday when tested for indivduals tree nuts all 7 of them she add a very mild skin reaction - Allergist said a Level 1 not Anaphaltic risk!

We were pleased because she likes almonds, pistachios and has had them in the past. She never had a problem with them before.

Since her peanut allergy was discovered last year she has not has any nuts of any shape of form.

Question #1 Can you purchase almonds etc. that are not processed with or in facilites that handle peanuts?? Obviously not any places like bulk!

Question #2 Is it possible that if she consumes other nuts starting in small single amounts that the reaction could change. The allergist did stay that she may get a tingling or ichiness in her mouth.

Thanks this forum is great!
You will hear from me some as I have soon more questions re: upcoming school issues as my DD is to enter SK in September!

Lori
DD almost 5 years allergic to peanuts, cats, grasses, dust and puting away her toys!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:14 pm 

Usually all nuts are processed together but I guess you could buy unshelled nuts and then shell them yourself? Would they still potentially have peanut residue on the outside of the shells if they are all processed in the same plant? Sorry -- don't know that I've helped any... :roll: It's great news that she's not ana to tree nuts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:32 pm 

Blue Diamond has peanut free almonds.
http://www.bluediamond.com/

It states Peanut Free on the package, but may contain other tree nuts.

A very exciting find for me today! Our daughter tested negative for almonds. I only found salted ones, but would love to try to make some chocolate covered almonds for my husband and I to indulge in without guilt!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:14 pm 

That's great! You learn something new every day! I would have never guessed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:59 pm 

Hi newpeanutkid -

As far as finding shelled tree nuts that aren't cross-contaminated with peanuts... I guess all you can do is find some in a package and call the manufacturer to check (beside the brand already suggested). And if you couldn't do that, I would think you could buy the nuts in a shell, wash the shells (just in case there was peanut cross-contamination), then shell them yourself.

More importantly (and sorry if I sound like Debbie Downer)... I'm wondering about the comment implying that your allergist said that your child isn't at risk of anaphylaxis with a tree nut allergy.

My understanding from various allergy experts is that there is no such thing as a "mild" peanut or tree nut allergy. I've always been told that if a child is diagnosed as allergic to either, you have to treat it as potentially anaphylactic. Currently there is no test (either skin test or blood test) that can predict the severity of a future reaction. The size of the wheal doesn't indicate if someone will have a mild or severe reaction. The numbers in the blood test don't either. So most allergists would say you pretty much have to assume the worst, I'm afraid.

See the online article at http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/E ... enuthp.htm :

Quote:
Tree Nut Allergies
by Antony Ham Pong, MBBS

[...]
I have had only a mild reaction to nuts in the past, and have never had breathing difficulties. Why do I need an EpiPen?
Nut allergy is usually potentially life-threatening and life-long. Even if mild allergic reactions have occurred in the past, severe reactions can still occur with the same amount of food, i.e., the allergy can worsen without warning. Do not also expect that you will have the same amount of time or warning before the reaction occurs as in the past. Therefore EpiPen should be available at all times.

I'm assuming that your DD has the EpiPen for her peanut allergy, so that's good. But I personally would be really cautious about giving her tree nuts to which there has been a positive skin test. Could you confirm with your allergist if he feels the skin test was a false positive?

I'll be honest - if my allergist said my child was allergic to a given kind of tree nut, I'd stay away from those nuts.

I hope this hasn't freaked you out... I actually struggled with whether to post this or not, but I felt I should say something.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:05 pm 

I have to vote to support Karen - with the caveat that my allergist told me that we all have to determine our level of comfort and live there.
My son is allergic to all nuts - except pecan or pralines, one or the other - anyway, he told me it was not too severe. So I said do I need to carry an epipen and he looked at me like I had suggested flying home. Of COURSE you need an epipen he told me - you can never tell when a reaction can be fatal.
If there is any reaction to nuts, I would really clarify with my doctor before feeding my chlid nuts - better safe than sorry.

And I hope the news is good and SOMEONE SOMEWHERE gets to eat nuts!

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:27 am 

I had posted, asking about buying unshelled nuts, scrubbing them, letting them dry and then shelling them myself to use in baking for my PA sons, not realizing that this had been discussed before.

KarenOASG wrote:

As far as finding shelled tree nuts that aren't cross-contaminated with peanuts... I guess all you can do is find some in a package and call the manufacturer to check (beside the brand already suggested). And if you couldn't do that, I would think you could buy the nuts in a shell, wash the shells (just in case there was peanut cross-contamination), then shell them yourself.

So I'm going to try it. Neither of my sons have tree nut allergies, and it's annoying to have to avoid foods that you aren't allergic to, because they're always processed with stupid peanuts.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject: blue diamond :)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:13 pm 

Thanks for the info regarding Blue Diamond. I've read a number of ingredients for different tree nuts and they all say may contain traces of peanuts. So, I have never brought any kind of nut into my house since my son was diagnosed with a peanut allergy 8 years ago. He is not allergic to any tree nuts but because of cross contamination with peanuts, I have never given him any kind of nut. Since you put the information on here about the Blue Diamond not containing any traces of peanuts, I bought some today and my son just had his first almond. He doesn't like them but we do:) Thanks again mygirlsyd.

Son allergic to peanuts and milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:02 am 

Krispy Kernels has peanut free products (including almonds and cashews) under the Axess line.

Their website states:
Food allergies have become a major concern for the global population. Preoccupied by this reality, Krispy Kernels has introduced a new range of CAC (Certified Allergen Control) certified products. These products, now available under the Axess brand, meet the most stringent requirements for the absence of peanuts.

Go to http://www3.krispykernels.com/ Click on English. Then under Products click on Axess - Peanut Free.

Just make sure you always purchase the Axess line and not Krispy Kernels regular products.