You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: nutritional supplements
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:18 pm 

Hi, ive lived with a peanut allergy my whole life only having a reaction which informed me i had the allergy (at a very young age).

now that im 18, im working out constantly. i am about to start experimenting with nutritional supplements such as creatine and whey... but i am not too sure of the ingredients (especially for the whey). i noticed they have a peanut butter flavoured whey, and was not to sure as to the real ingredients in them. i checked the label and it merely stated the nutritional ingredients and artificial and natural flavours. this could mean anything really....

any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

I think it's great that you haven't had a reaction since the one which alerted you to your condition! :D
You must be doing something right.
Can you e-mail the company and ask about their ingredients and production lines? Perhaps you would be safer with an unflavoured (plain/original) version.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:14 am 

Hi -- just be cautious...I have looked into a couple of whey protein powders for my son. I wanted to have them to add to smoothies, etc. and even though the labels made no mention of peanut or nut ingredients, upon contacting the company they indicated that they could not guarantee the products were free of cross-contamination with peanuts / nuts. So many nutritional supplements (energy bars, etc.) have peanut butter as ingredients. I also don't know how the CFIA regulates the labelling of these types of nutritional products. My advice to you is to always contact the company for more info. If you find one that's safe, please pass along! Good luck with your search!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:35 pm 

i sent out an email to gnc about their products, hopefully i can start taking them. which company was it that you contacted?

the email i recieved back from GNC stated that the products are made in the same facility as nut products, so there might be "nut dust" as the person said.

im not too sure as to what this means, but i asked if they are in knowledge of that why it isnt labeled

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:12 pm 

Sorry -- I can't remember the names of the companies I contacted...there were two of them and then I kind of gave up -- it wasn't that important to me.