You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:00 pm 

Hello Everyone!

I am a new member and my daughter (2years old) has a peanut allergy. I am always under constant stress, not knowing what will trigger a attack! Amongst all my questions about this allergy, there is one that I am dying to hear about. Does anyone know if a child can go into anaphalaxis by picking up an open peanut shell in the yard. Everytime my daughter wants to go play outside, I feel I have to "scan" the yard for shells. She is at an age where she just doesn't understand her allergy. If anyone has had an experience they could share or simply information on this, that would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:13 pm 

I can't answer you regarding the reaction, but I sure do feel your pain. I always do the scan too, we have an abundance of squirrels around here. I see peanut shells EVERYWHERE now, didn't notice them before. I would imagine that if a child picked up a shell and then rubbed their eye/put their hand to their mouth, it could certainly cause a reaction. I take my daughter through the bulk section at the grocery store every now and then and show her all the different kinds of nuts, as well as pointing out shells anywhere I see them, so she knows what to look for.

Post subject: Peanut SHells
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:38 pm 

I guess I would just feel 1% better if I knew that if she just touched it without touching her eyes or mouth that she would not go into shock. Would she just get a rash? Around here people give peanuts to the blue jays. I asked my neighbor if he mind not giving them. he understood and said would stop but what about all the others that love those birds and squirrels!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:52 pm 

I discoved my daughter's peanut allergy when she was just 2 years old. She's now 4. Peanut shells on the ground are a worry. The way I've handled it is to point out a shell on the ground when I see it and I tell her that it will make her very sick is she picks it up. In the beginning when she did pick up a shell, I'd rush her into the house and wash her hands and remind her about how sick she could get. That seemed to work. She picks up everything else on the ground (bugs etc) but she does not pick up peanut shells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:20 pm 

I feel that people shouldn't be eating peanuts in a park...or feeding them to squirrels...but that's another issue.

Last edited by Helen on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:25 pm 

silky_lush, no one can give you a definite answer, because it could be different for everyone.

Some people only react if they eat their allergen. Some, from touching.

I have anaphylactic reactions from eating certain foods, but my sister gets hives.

I'm personally getting fed up with squirrels. I kept telling my husband they are bring peanut shells into our yard, and he kept telling me I'm *nuts*. Well, he was doing some weeding in the garden, and he found several peanut shells. I think the squirrels are trading - they stole my flower seeds and left me peanut shells. Funny in a sick sort of way. (Remember, I'm an adult with allergies - different then if it was a child.)