You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergic Teen Travel
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:01 am 

My 15 yr.old daughter is a talented young athlete and as part of the team will be doing some cross country trips to attend events. Meals are provided by hosts (if they are billeted) or cooked by the athletes in a co-op kitchen arrangement. I have stated that I am unwilling for her to billet unless they can find a family that can assure me that they can take special care to make sure her food is peanut free (unlikely) and so she will probably be staying in dorms with common kitchen facilities. Everyone has been very supportive and combined with my daughters care we are sure it will work out. But I would love to hear from any other parents with teen athletes or teens which need to travel as part of group and how they prepare all the coaches or staff to help their child stay safe while eating.
Any tips, advice, words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:32 am 

Well, My daughter isn't on teams but she does go on youth group trips. I have found that instead of telling everyone to watch for or make sure bla bla gets done or is done. That I tell everyone she is allergic to milk then I pull the head person and say who is going to be with my daughter in her group? Once that is found out I contact that person and go over things with them. I give a letter to them (also to head person) that lists food that has milk and what can't be around my daughter as well. I have not had a problem as of yet. Making one adult the main person to watch works well. That way they don't think about the other person is watching.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:57 am 

How old is your daughter?
There is always at least one chaperone in charge on these trips, and they are given all allergy or medical information....so they are in charge of everything. My daughters next trip is to Regina...they will be traveling two days by bus each way. Lots of meals on the road and then staying at the university and cooking meals in the dorms and attending barbques.....
The co-ordinator at this end has already put "This is a PEANUT FREE trip" banner on all correspondance.... so everyone is being prepared. That was very nice of her. The chaperones haven't been assigned yet. So I guess that will be the next person I will be contacting. The dorm mates will be assigned once they are there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:17 am 

My daughter will be 15 in August.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.