You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 10:41 am
Posts: 54
Location: Virginia, USA
I know, I should have done this at a docs, I was advised in the egg allergy forum already but I wasn't told this by my natural doc so I already did it so now I have questions about the after effects.

Ok, I had a blood test done and several food items came up positive, most were a level 1 or 2 and egg came up as a 3 (4 is anaphylactic or severe). Anyway, I wasn't scared to do these food challeneges as they aren't severe.

I haven't had PB in 3 weeks or more and I added it back in. I did notice some weird sensation in my throat. Much like when you get a sore/swollen throat while ill but without the soreness. Is it possible to have a little anaphylaxis or is this just a mild allergy? What do I make of it? Oh and I got a moderate headache later too, is that a symptom?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:31 pm
Posts: 29
You're right: you shouldn't administer challenges yourself.

This was an allergic reaction--no doubt about it. You had two symptoms--your throat and your headache. The throat swelling you had is extremely dangerous. Extremely.

Please avoid peanut in the future and discuss this episode with your allergist.

Throat swelling is a reason to use the epi.

Check out this helpful chart. The boldface symptoms are ones where you use the epi right away.

http://the-clarkes.org/stuff/ana.html


BTW--the grading chart doesn't indicate your class, as far as your allergic class (how allergic you are) but how bad your reaction is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 pm
Posts: 2044
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Actually, the blood test only indicates the likelihood that you will HAVE a reaction. The higher the number, the greater the likelihood that you will have a reaction. How severe it will be is anyone's guess. There is no test right now that will tell you how severe a reaction will be.

Most specialists will say that you cannot be a "little bit" allergic to peanut. You have to assume that you are at risk of anaphylaxis with a peanut or tree nut allergy. You also cannot predict how severe the next reaction will be based on your previous reaction(s). It could be mild one time and very severe (even fatal) the next.

The other risk you run: many people seem to find that if they remove a food that has been causing them problems from their diet for awhile and then put it back in, they actually have a stronger reaction than they did in the past.

So... I would get thee to an allergist! I think it's time to work with a professional. I really do think you are playing with fire. I have no idea how much naturopaths (or natural docs) know about anaphylaxis. If it were me, I'd be making an appointment with a board-certified allergist. (Note: the term board-certified is used in the U.S. but not in Canada.)

K.

_________________
Karen, proud Mom of
- DS1 (12 yrs): allergic to cashews, pistachios, Brazil nuts, potatoes, some legumes, some fish, pumpkin seeds; OAS
- DS2 (1o yrs): ana. to dairy, eggs, peanuts; asthma


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 10:41 am
Posts: 54
Location: Virginia, USA
Thank you ladies, I greatly appreciate your wisdom and advice! I am rather a newbie to all of this.

I'm still rather confused about how I can have these issues all of a sudden or test positive for them and have eaten them in the past and have been OK. Same thing for my daughter, who tested positive for peanuts also but she always eats peanut butter with no issues. How is this possible? Perhaps this is why I wasn't worried about the food challenge.

Thank you for your answers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 pm
Posts: 2044
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Ah, if we had the answer to those questions, we'd be rich. Or at least famous.

No one knows why allergies seem to appear out of nowhere. The mom of a woman I know developed a severe fish allergy in her 50s! She'd eaten fish all her life with no problem - then suddenly started reacting. A girlfriend of mine was fine with celery and lettuce until she was 18, then became anaphylactic to them.

If your daughter is able to eat peanuts without reacting, I think most specialists would say that she is not allergic to peanuts, regardless of what the skin test indicates. That is the gold standard test: the oral challenge.

However, if you are reacting when you eat it, well, then, it would be considered an allergy.

K.

_________________
Karen, proud Mom of
- DS1 (12 yrs): allergic to cashews, pistachios, Brazil nuts, potatoes, some legumes, some fish, pumpkin seeds; OAS
- DS2 (1o yrs): ana. to dairy, eggs, peanuts; asthma


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group