You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:15 am 

I've been going to this top notch pizza parlor for years, and I've had a good experience with the food. One day last year, I was eating a plain pizza with absolutely nothing on it - Yes, no tomato sauce, just cheese. I'm a picky-eater. :lol:

Anyways, I took a bite, and went from starving to full. I couldn't eat anymore than two bites, it was strange. Then I had a ripping stomach ache all night, and I was vomiting all of the next day.

I didn't take my EpiPen, because I thought I had just come down with the flu or something. Then I realized, it WAS a reaction! But it's strange, it wasn't full blown... It should have been; I took fairly large amounts of pizza per bite.

Recently, I looked at Pizza Hut's menu. Almost everything is made with peanuts/nuts. :(
The dough was new, and they hadn't yet changed the menu. They should have changed it right away, if they changed the ingredients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:36 am 

We also ate at Pizza Hut for many years. Last year my son had a very severe reaction after eating two bites of a pizza. If you look at the ingredients list it has changed. It lists peanut as an allergen in the crusts.

It was very scary I may add.

The ingredients list was posted earlier but I have reposted it here:

http://www.pizzahut.ca/files/pdf/en/Allergen_Jul_07.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:47 pm 

I am concerned about the fact that companies such as Pizza Hut don't publicize or put a warning on their boxes stating that their pizza now contains peanuts. I was very upset to find out that my son had eaten Pizza Hut for years after our inital check into the product as we had assumed it was safe. Thankfully he did not have a reaction, but just knowing the potential was there for one in the first place is enough to be traumatic. I would have not been aware of the change except for the fact that we were researching Pizza 73 ingredients for a birthday party and came across a posting regarding Pizza Hut's new ingredients list.

Our school is having a hot lunch day consisting of Little Ceasars Pizza. I discovered that because they do not guarantee who their suppliers of products are, that the ingredient lists may change from time to time. Therefore this product can not be considered to be peanut free either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:57 pm 

Hi I have to agree that Pizza hut sucks for doing this I have a severe nut allergy and I want to say thank you to Shikamaru for bring this topic up because i used to eat there, but I like to say that there is this place called COCO BROOKS this is the best pizza place on the box it says NO NUTS and I can eat their dessert pizzas :D and even Pizza 73 is okay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:52 pm 

I am so glad I came to this forum! I used to eat at Pizza Hut (not very often) and it really sucks that they changed the dough. I wondered why I started feeling sick after eating there... After reading about this I tried to find out the specifics for Pizza Pizza but have been unable to come up with anything. I am angered because it was the one pizza place I could go and not have to worry (aside from Pizza Pizza). Like another reviewer said its pretty sad that the company did not advertise this change, I had to find out online! Thats not being responsible in my opinion especially when you are dealing with food allergies and the public.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:58 pm 

We stopped eating at Pizza Hut about 18 months ago after I read on their website that all of their crusts may contain peanuts. I was ticked that they didn't advertise or state clearly that there is a risk of contamination. Our DS1 had eaten there a few times before and luckily didn't have a reaction.

We have found a small, family owned pizza place nearby that is amazing. He doesn't use pine nuts and hand makes his crust daily. Also, New Orleans pizza is safe as well.

We definitely need to get better food labelling laws and laws for restaurants so we can make informed decisions on where to eat.