You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

In your baking, what do you use to substitute for nuts?
Soy Nuts? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sunflower Seeds? 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Other? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I just omit the nuts and don't use a substitute 93%  93%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 14
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:15 pm 

I have been searching for peanut-free sunflower seeds without the shell for sooo long. I've heard that Spitz brand are nut-free but can only find the type that have the shells on. Has anyone seen any?? I'd love to use them in homemade granola bars, in cookies and just to munch on. I don't mind using soy nuts but my kids don't love them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:53 am 

I can buy de-shelled (is that the word?!) sunflower seeds by Spitz (and they are peanut/tree nut free!) at our local grocery store. However, they only make them in Salted or Dill Pickle flavour so I don't know how great they would be in baking. Well, I guess you could always wash the salt off the salted ones. They make rainbow chocolate candy coated sunflower seeds, too, and I bet those would be fun in a granola bar.

Is your child allergic to tree nuts as well? Blue Diamond almonds are peanut free. I can't find plain, but the salted or the honey roasted do well in baking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:40 am 
Site Admin

I just sent Spitz an e-mail asking if they have concidered making a plain shelled product available for sale. I would suggest that others do the same. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:00 am 

Here's another thought...I recently made my own granola and added Enjoy LIfe's Mountain Mambo nut free trail mix. It has dried raisins etc. as well, but this would probably still be good for cookies etc. I also love munching on this just by the handful--a wonderful product.

Soccermom

Post subject: Enjoy Life
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:43 am 

I've tried Enjoy Life's nut-free granola and it tasted like cardboard. Literally no taste at all. :( So I've been hesitant to try their other products. I didn't realize they made a nut-free trail mix. Maybe I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:07 am 

I asked them for unshelled plain sunflower seeds. Hopefully they'll start making them soon and let us know where we can buy them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:54 am 
Site Admin

fast reply-
Quote:
Good Morning Susan,
Because I too have a child with a nut allergy I understand just how
important it is to know about these things. Because we just launched
our Kernels I don't think in the near future that we will be looking at
just a plain one. I will definitely pass on your feedback to our
marketing team because we are a company that is very dependant on our
consumers.
Thanks again and have a SPITZ-tacular earth day

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:42 am 

crickette79,

Could you please tell me where you buy the shelled spitz and the chocolate covered ones? I'd love to try them, but havn't seen them. I'm sure you could use the salted seeds in baking, and then just reduce or cut out the salt in the recipe.

soccermom

Post subject: Re: Enjoy Life
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:13 pm 

canuckmommy wrote:
I've tried Enjoy Life's nut-free granola and it tasted like cardboard. Literally no taste at all. :( So I've been hesitant to try their other products. I didn't realize they made a nut-free trail mix. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Like you, I was soooo disappointed with this product after being excited about finding it at the store. It was dry, hard, just awful.

However, I do like some of their other products. Their cocoa loco cereal bar is really good, and the other cereal bars are OK, but not that great. Their cookies are not bad as well - snickerdoodles, no oat oatmeal and chocolate chip are reasonably tasty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:28 am 

soccermom wrote:
crickette79,

Could you please tell me where you buy the shelled spitz and the chocolate covered ones? I'd love to try them, but havn't seen them. I'm sure you could use the salted seeds in baking, and then just reduce or cut out the salt in the recipe.

soccermom

I found them at our local grocery store, but it's a small independent store (Tru Value) in my smallish BC town. I think I've seen them at 7-11 and Mac's, though.

I used them today in homemade granola bars and omitted the salt that it called for, ironically. They turned out well, if a bit crumbly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:01 pm 

I had emailed them asking where I could find unshelled sunflower seeds. This is the response I got. Doesn't say that they actually sell the unshelled variety ... I've never been able to find them.

Thanks for your email and all your support. I don't know if you have heard but we were bought out by Pepsico and so now Frito is our distributor. Some of the places they distribute our kernels to are:

7 eleven, Mac's, A&P stores, Associated Grocers, Buy Low Foods, Canadian Tire, Cango Gas, cheveron, Coopers, Daisy Mart, Express 24 food mart, Fairways, Federated Co-op, Flying J, HJ Louie, Loblaw National Grocers, Northwest company, Overwaitea Grocery, Pharmasave, Quality foods, Safeway, Shell, Short stop/Fast Gas, The grocery People, Thrifty Foods, and Walmart.

Hope this helps and that you have a Spitz-tacular week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:35 am 

I haven't had any luck finding the Spitz unshelled seeds either -- I've only seen the candied shelled variety at Wal-Mart (which have a cross-contam. warning for nuts). I agree about some of the Enjoy Life products not being all that tasty...but can vouch for the sunbutter bars (if you like sunbutter), the snickerdoodle cookies, and the trail mixes are really quite good too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:49 am 

We are in Alberta, we buy them regularly at Safeway.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:40 pm 

I buy unshelled Spitz at a corner variety store. They are salted, but for baking I just decrease the amount of salt asked for in the recipe.

They go great in my Peabutter Cookies. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:49 pm 

I just bought SPITZ shelled (salted) sunflower seeds 100g bag at Zellers. They were pegged right beside the checkout. On the back of the package it states produced in a nut free facility.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish