You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:58 pm 

Four years ago my allergist told me I had a "moderate" peanut allergy, and that I should cease eating peanuts entirely, even though I had never had a reaction. Although I knew that RAST testing could occasionally give false positives, I trusted him. A year later, I had another test, which came back positive too. In these past three years, I have accidentally eaten peanuts many times but not had a reaction, so I started wondering if maybe I had outgrown my allergy (I am now 20). Yesterday I did a food challenge and nothing happened. If I keep eating peanuts, is it possible for this phantom allergy to surface? Or am I safe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:28 pm 

What led you to get tested for peanuts in the first place? Did you have other allergies or did you have some sort of reaction that made you get tested for them? And after your food challenge did they give you the go-ahead to start eating them now? I think there's always the possibility for us to get re-sensitized but I don't think it happens that often and if you've been eating them without incident....I think you're ok.

See what other people say too...(congrats though on being able to eat them!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:55 pm 

It is very possible that you have indeed outgrown this allergy. I'm kinda surprized that you weren't given more instruction from the doctor after the food challenge. if you injested them during the challenge and had no reaction..my son's allergist would've said, "continue to eat peanuts weekly for a month supervised and then after that you can eat them unsupervised." There is always a slight possiblilty that the peanut allergy will come back but that is why it is so important for you to keep eating them. At least three times a month or more.
My son has had six food challenges to date. At one time he tested positive to both peanut and all tree nuts on both skin and rast tests. When recently tested the only thing that changed was that he show neg. for peanut on the skin test and RAST, everything else was positive. He has passed his challenges for peanut, almond, hazelnut, walnut, cashew, pecan thus far...all but one was positive on the skin and RAST. So it can be that you had false positives. I would suggest you go back to your allergist and get clarification on what you should do.