You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:06 pm 

Please watch out for this drug. Both the ear drops and scalp oil contain refined peanut oil!
It is a corticosteroid used for treating eczema of all things...and your doctor may not be aware of it containing peanut oil.
You would think that they would not put such an allergenic ingredient in the medication to treat an allergenic skin condition!!! :evil:

Drug Facts:

DermOtic® Oil Ear Drops contain fluocinolone acetonide . This formulation is also marketed as Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil® for the treatment of atopic dermatitis and Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil® for the treatment of psoriasis/eczema of the scalp.
Drug is formally know as Eczema oil.

Each gram of DermOtic® Oil contains approximately 0.11 mg of fluocinolone acetonide in a blend of oils, which contains isopropyl alcohol, isopropyl myristate, light mineral oil, oleth-2, refined peanut oil NF and fragrances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 am 

My husband, who is anaphylactic to peanuts (starts to swell up within minutes), and he was put on the Derma-Smoothe more than a year ago. He uses it several times a day with no reactions at all. The allergist said that the peanuts in it are so refined that they won't cause a reaction.
I was worried when he first got the prescription, but he hasn't had a problem with it at all, thank goodness. In fact, it's helping his eczema. :D