* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Press release just in from Loblaws.
Scroll down to the baked goods stuff - the most interesting. Gwen

Canada’s largest grocer offers peanut-free President’s Choice® and no name® brand snacks for added shopping convenience
Expands product range to include fresh-baked goods

Toronto, ON – August 6, 2009 – One out of every 150 children suffers from a nut or peanut allergy and with many schools across Canada now enforcing strict rules, parents are looking for ways to make purchasing peanut-free products convenient.
To make this sometimes difficult task easier, Loblaw Companies is introducing some new and traditional peanut-free favourites from the President’s Choice® and no name® brands. To ensure peanut-free products are easier for parents to identify, products include prominent on-package logos and stores from coast-to-coast have incorporated displays marked with peanut-free snack signs, so parents can quickly find snacks suitable for allergic and school-aged children attending peanut-free schools and childcare facilities.

“As Canada’s largest grocery retailer, Loblaw is committed to expanding our product lines to reflect and serve the changing dietary needs of Canadians, especially for those who suffer from life threatening allergies,” says Paul Uys, Vice President of Control Label & Fresh, Loblaw Companies Ltd. “We know that nut allergies are a serious issue and Loblaw is proud that the products we produce in our off-site, peanut-free baking facility will provide peace of mind and great-tasting new options for Canadian families living with these allergies.”

"The AAIA welcomes the steps that grocery retailers such as Loblaw Companies are taking to serve the needs of Canadians with peanut allergies, as they recognize this is an important and growing market," says Mary Allen, CEO of Allergy/Asthma Information Association (AAIA).

Trusted for innovative quality and variety, President’s Choice and no name – Canada’s number one and two brands* – offer a range of peanut-free grocery items and freshly baked peanut-free products that provide alternatives for Canadians facing peanut allergies and parents of school aged children. Among the many peanut-free President’s Choice, no name and national brands offered, there are 10 select President’s Choice freshly-baked products produced off-site in Loblaw’s peanut-free baking facility.

With the introduction of six new freshly-baked products out of the 10 offered, Loblaw aims to revitalize the peanut-free fresh-baked goods category that has historically lacked availability and variety, with a focus on introducing wholesome, homemade flavours in its peanut-free snack offerings for kids and adults alike. Fresh Baked Peanut-free products include President’s Choice Teensy Weensy Muffins in Blueberry, Carrot, Banana and Chocolate Chip, new and individually wrapped and lunch-box ready, President’s Choice Soft Baked Cookies in Oatmeal Raisin, Oatmeal Cranberry and Chocolate Chip, and new President’s Choice Squares in Carrot Cake, Banana Cake and Brownie.

Additional items sure to be popular choices for lunches and snacks include President’s Choice Blue Menu™ Wheat Bran Bites, no name Low Fat Crispy Rice Squares, President’s Choice Cereal Bars and President’s Choice Granola Bars, also prepared at Loblaw’s Peanut-free facility, among others.

Parents are always encouraged to carefully read product labels to ensure safe family eating, but with clearly marked peanut-free snacks, Loblaw has taken some of the guesswork out of the cumbersome task of back-to-school shopping.

President’s Choice and no name products are available at Loblaws, Loblaw Great Food, Zehrs, Zehrs Great Food, Fortinos, Real Canadian Superstore, Loblaw Superstore, valu-mart, Your Independent Grocer, Atlantic Superstore, Maxi, Maxi & Cie, no frills, Provigo, Extra Foods and more. Product availability and pricing may vary by banner and region. For more information, visit www.pc.ca.

About Loblaw Companies Limited
Loblaw Companies Limited, a subsidiary of George Weston Limited, is Canada's largest food distributor and a leading provider of drugstore, general merchandise and financial products and services. Loblaw is one of the largest private sector employers in Canada. With more than 1,000 corporate and franchised stores from coast to coast, Loblaw and its franchisees employ over 139,000 full-time and part-time employees. Through its portfolio of store formats, Loblaw is committed to providing Canadians with a wide, growing and successful range of products and services to meet the everyday household demands of Canadian consumers. Loblaw is known for the quality, innovation and value of its food offering. It offers Canada's strongest control (private) label program, including the unique President’s Choice®, no name® and Joe Fresh Style® brands. In addition, the Company makes available to consumers President's Choice Financial® services and offers the PC® Points loyalty program.
1Peanut and Nut Allergies: The Facts, The Allergy/Asthma Information Association (http://www.aaia.ca/en/aboutAnaphylaxis.htm)
* Source: AC Nielson Storeview Brand Comparison

-30-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Great! It sounds like some companies are starting to figure out that there is a target consumer audience that is searching for products to buy.

As with most things allergy related, peanuts lead the way. I suppose it's because peanut allergy has been inthe news for much longer than other allergies. I suppose too, that the peanut is not that difficult to an ingredient to remove if manufacterers truly want to.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:05 pm 

Has anyone seen these new products?

I have checked in both the Loblaws in Kirkland and the one in DDO but none to be found. Even the 1 888 # number person had no information on these new products

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Mtlmom - they're just starting to hit the stores. Try over the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:15 pm 

Awesome news!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:36 pm 

Just received some samples of the new Loblaw PC peanut-free line. These snacks are really looking tasty!

Some particularly good items are:
- Dipped & Chewy chocolate fudge & chocolate chip granola bars (contain soy & dairy)
- Banana Cake and Carrot Cake (contain soy)
- Teensy Weensy muffins (12-packs): blueberry, carrot, chocolate chip, banana (contain soy & dairy)
- Brownies (contain soy & dairy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

I just picked up the Blue Menu Wheat Bran Bites in Banana Bread and Maple & Brown Sugar flavours at a No Frills store in Hamilton today. I'll let you know how the kids (3&8) like them. :)

Post subject: eggs??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:53 am 

Does anyone know if there are eggs in any of these new products?? I would love to try them for my daughter but she is also allergic to egg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:43 am 

Does anyone know if they are nut-free as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

We've tried the Blue Menu Wheat Bran Bites in Banana Bread and Maple & Brown Sugar flavours (they are free of all of our allergens peanut, tree nut, egg, dairy and legumes)

They are very crispy and sweet. The Banana Bread was too banana-y for dd. She loved the Maple & Brown Sugar! I sent a package in her lunch box today and she was thrilled to hear it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:34 pm 

We tried the Brownies today and my daughter gave them a big thumbs up!
Can't wait to try the other items. Thank goodness for a few more choices!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:01 pm 

Great timing with school lunches coming up! Bonus that they will have some fresh baked items too.

I am so impressed to see both Loblaw's and Sobey's (Compliments label) improve their labelling. It is making shopping much easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:06 am 

The granola bars with caramel and covered in chocolate were a hit with the kids!

One of my kids liked the banana bran bites and the other did not. We noticed there isn't actually banana in them --- first ingredient is sugar but they do have fibre.

There was shelf space for the teeny weeny muffins but none were there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:27 pm 

At our local store, the only PC peanut free banana bread had milk chocolate chips in it and the carrot cake had cream cheese icing. There must be a plain banana bread available also. I will have to keep looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 am 
Site Admin

Katec, the banana bread has milk in it but the Blue Menu Wheat Bran Bites don't. :)