You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:52 pm 

My son has tested positive twice for PA on the skin test (he's 5 now) and won't be tested again until he's 7 or 8. The Allergist said we could do the RAST test b/c there's always a chance that it could come back negative. Does anyone have any info on this and any experience with this? Our son is a sensitive guy with asthma and an allergy to sesame seeds. He outgrew his egg allergy last year which was fantastic news for us. I have a friend out west who's son had a positive skin test to peanuts, then his RAST came back negative and he did his oral challenge today and the PA is gone. Am I being too hopeful? Any info would be most appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:11 am 

Has your son had any reactions to peanut? What prompted you to get tested in the first place? From what I've read (and keep in mind, I'm not a medical professional of any sort, but just a parent of two allergic children), if he's had reactions and/or the skin test has indicated a moderate or severe reaction, the chances of him not being allergic via RAST is probably small. If he's never had reactions and you are just going by family history, and the skin tests were inconclusive, there may be a chance he's not allergic. This happened to my niece - her father is PA so they avoided, then she reacted to egg, so they tested her for egg as well as peanut. Peanut skin test was inconclusive but because she'd never had a reaction, did an oral challenge and she's fine to eat peanuts now. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:25 am 

thanks so much! When our son reacted to egg at the age of 1 and a half we had him tested and that's when the PA showed up on the skin test initially. He's never had a reaction to peanut however he's never tried it and we've avoided it. I'm curious at this point and think I will go ahead with the RAST. The sesame allergy showed up last year when he ate some pretzels with them and then had a bad reaction. We avoid sesame seeds as well and the Allergist said that many of the kids with PA and coming in with sesame seed allergies now?
Thanks again and I'll update post RAST