You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:08 am 

Hiya all,

I was wondering if any-one else has been diagnosed with multiple allergies as an adult?

I'm 27 and started having problems with allergies to different foods, raisins, then apples, then peaches, there were also a few times i had Allergic reactions
but didnt know what caused it. My doc referred me to immunology for allergy testing.

I had the skin prick test done with some different allergens , I had a positive for:

Apples
peaches
strawberries
peanuts
hazelnuts
walnuts
sunflower seeds, :shock:

i also gave blood for testing which i think is to test for more allergies, and i'm waiting to hear about the results.

So now i have to carry an epi-pen.

This happen to any-one else? also what are you allergies and are they connected by certain food groups?

K xx :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:06 pm 

As an adult I developed allergies to peanuts and sesame seeds. My sister developed allergies to the night-shade family. She seems to have outgrown her allergies, but I haven't.

~~

Is your shocked looking face in your post in reference to all those allergies, or just the sunflower seeds? Sunflower (and other seeds) are becoming much more common allergens. It's used in a lot of prepared foods, so be sure to read labels. (Potato chips, fried foods, baked goods)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:28 pm 

Hey anna marie, :)

Thanks for replying,

The shocked face was becuase i knew i had an allergy to apples and peaches also raisins but i didnt know i was allergic to any nuts or sunflower seed! it really took me by suprise, i never would have eaten nuts, i avoid them cause i dont like them,

I suppose i find it slightly frightening as my allergies have only come up in the past 9 months and there just seems to be alot of the in a short time, so i'm worried what my reaction to nuts and sunflower seeds will be like? even though i know carry an epipen it's still really worrying.

K x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:00 am 

I too developed adult onset allergies. It all started with enviromental allergies - springtime polllens. Then in the spring of 2008 I had an anaphylactic reaction to a very small bite of a fresh peach. I didn't know at the time it was an anaphylactic reaction - it took 4 double doses of benadryl 3 hrs apart for me to even start feeling 1/2 normal again.

Since then, I have started reacting to many things, all of them in the anaphylactic range - which my allergist tells me I have caught early (apparently there is an anaphylactic scale, and I've caught most of my reactions at a 1 or 2, where as a 3 and up are life threatening). On my list of confirmed allergic foods is:

peaches, plums, cherries (pitted fruits) - both raw and cooked)
apples, pears - again raw and cooked
strawberries,
POTATOES - raw, cooked (and I can't have them boiling in the house anymore or take the kids through the drive thru or to McDonald's anymore - it sets me off),
kiwis (which apparently puts me at higher risk for becoming allergic to latex).

I have also begun reacting to all nuts and peanuts, but have not yet been tested for them - allergist is waiting on that one for a longer appt.

To top it off, I have enviromental allergies to birch tree and grass pollens, as well as being allergic to pine trees. I have also just this past spring developed adult onset asthma. This all started just after I turned 36 yrs old.

I tell my kids they are doomed - LOL. The youngest is anaphylactic to multiple mosquito bites and at risk for stinging insects. The oldest has asthma, allergic to grass and dust mites and is sensitive to latex. Dh appears have some seasonal allergies as well, plus a contact allergy (unconfirmed) to cedar trees.

good luck!

Dawne

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:46 pm 

Hey dawn,

We have a few allergies in common, thankfully i dont have and seasonal allergies, I had the skin prick test and now I'm waiting for blood test results, but i'm not sure what they are testing for?

I dont know what results to expect? do they test for more allergies??

thanks in advance

Kerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:01 pm 

it would be best for you to ask your allergist what the blood tests were for. At this point, for myself, my allergist has said that we will no longer be confirming by skin prick tests - my allergies to fruits/veggies, as it has proved out time and time again. I start reacting, and the skin prick test shows a positive reaction. And all of my reactions involve more than one body systems, so they are all in the "anaphylactic range". I too carry epinephrine with me all the time, along with my inhailers - needless to say I feel like a walking pharmacy.

At some point my allergist does want to test me for celiac's disease (wheat/gluten allergy) as this does run in my family, but since I am currently showing no signs of it, we are holding off on this one. This particular screening is a blood test, and if the blood test is positive, then it is followed by a scope of my colon. I'm not minding holding off on that one.

Right now, one of my biggest challenges is finding "fast food" or quick meals that I can eat - darn near impossible with the potatoe allergy thrown in the mix. It's also very hard to model healthy eating to my children when I can't eat so many fruits, and many of them I can't even handle.

Good luck!

Dawne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear they're starting to use the Celiac blood test more now. :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:38 pm 

Yup, very common to use the blood test for a screening here. Unfortunately, not all of the dr's are fully up on the limitations on the blood screening. I know that right now the blood screening would be kind of pointless right now for me because I just do not eat enough wheat daily to make it worth while. That pesky 3 peices of bread for 3 weeks or more daily thing - I just don't quite manage to fit it in. I'm lucky if I manage 1 peice of bread daily.

Besides that, I am actually dreading if I am celiac - I know a lot of the celiac diet is supplemented with potatoe starch/flour - to which I happen to be anaphylactic allergic to.

Oh well, till then, I'll enjoy what bread I do eat.

Dawne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:17 am 

I too have adult onset allergies. I am off the scale for all pollens except grass ( no getting out of mowing the lawn) A few weeks ago I was tested for foods and was positive for hazelnuts, cod, shrimp, and salmon. I also cannot eat any fruit except raspberries or I get terrible gastro problems that last for days. The fruits are cross-related with the pollens. On top of this I take a pill and puffer daily to control asthma.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:43 am 

How do you cope without potatoes dawn!

I had the blood test which comfirmed the scratch test but also added pecan nuts, grapes and oranges to my list!

i live in the uk and now i have had my results and a letter back from the allergist, thats me finished with them? already!

I feel totally abandoned they just said if a get a reaction take a tablet if it feels different or worse use the epipen. and thats it, no more appointments unless they are requested so they have just abandoned me! they said if i notice any more reactions just avoid the allergen!

So i may be using these boards alot lol

I hope you's are keeping well

K x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:12 am 

My allergies pop up after my son was born 3 years ago. I ate a tunafish sandwich and my whole life changed. After being tested and countless times going to hosp for nebulizer treatments. Having hives and swelling face here is my list.

SHELLFISH. FISH. ORANGES. CARROTS. BANANAS. RICE. TOMATOES. PEACHES. PORK. FIGS. CINNAMON. SORBIC ACID. POLYSORBATES. BETA CAROTENE. CITRIC ACID. STRAWBERRIES. POTATOES. CLOVE. MANGO. PINEAPPLE. RAISINS. PEANUTS & BY-PRODUCTS. PERFUME. SCENTED AIR FRESHENERS & CLEANERS. SCENTED CANDLES. SUNFLOWER SEEDS. NUTS & ALL NUT PRODUCTS.

I copied and pasted from medalert. I am so afraid of not remembering them all when I shop or go to the doctor.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:33 am 

Thats some list you've got there mom of half a dozen! thankfully i have found mine easy enough to avoid but i couldn't imagine trying to avoid all yours.

I have mine all written down and i keep the list in my handbag that way it's easier to double check