You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: popcorn at the movie
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:32 pm 

Today we went to empire theaters. It was part of a group outing and the ticket included a popcorn kids pack. I was going to skip it but because the line was short, went to inquire about allergies. There was an ingredient label, it didn't have any nuts or may contain warning, they assured me that all that was made in the machine was popcorn - and I let him have it.
I made him eat one bite, and wait a few minutes, and then another before we went in.
I watched him with knots in my stomach. I;m not sure it was worth it. I want to do everything to keep him safe, but not hold him back one step past safety. It sure isn't easy.

Post subject: Re: popcorn at the movie
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

It certainly isn't easy but it's so worthwhile to allow them to be as free and 'normal' as possible. You did great!

How was the movie?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm 

We always pack our own safe snacks for movies. Something smallbut tried and true. Sometimes my peanut allergic daughter will get a drink.We usually get the bottles out of the machine as in our theatres there are a lot of peanut and nut products. I worry about the cross-contamination.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:45 pm 

I wish I could tell you how the movie was. My son loved it, I was too busy watching him.
The idea of drinks from a vending machine is a good one. I'm not sure if it is wise, but the fact that the drinks were from a kool aid machine, which they assured me they used for nothing else and the popcorn was a name brand we use at home helped. (along with the fact that there were labels to check)
The movie staff told me that the chocolate bars were not guaranteed to be safe. Even though I read the smarties label, and they appeared normal, we did not eat them. Why take any risks, in case they are supplied for the theater from a separate factory. The worst part was my fear...
It almost makes it so that I want to bring food from home, just so I don't have to deal with the anxiety... but will that serve him best or is it best to teach him how to take safe risks for the teen years ?
I wish I had an allergy angel that gave me answers tailored to our family :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

But he didn't react did he? (That was what I really meant by "how was the movie")
You are taking him into potentially dangerous situations and showing him how to ask questions to get enough information to make educated decisions on what he can have/do. This is the allergy equalivalent of teaching our children how to cros the road or drive acar. It is nerve-racking when they start doing it but we need to give them the tools to keep themselves safe.

So, if he was reaction free throughout the movie, that is successful. You might have been beside yourself with worry, you're a mom, it goes with the territory. I don't think it ever trully goes away but I think that eventually, we learn to trust ourselves and our children and it subsides to something like a dull toothache.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:31 am 

Good for you, what a big step. I've been considering doing this, but am worried about seeing the signs of a reaction (rash/hives) in a dark theatre. :(