You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:54 am 

I'm the mother of a peanut allergic child and an historian -- put the two together and ... I've just published a book in which I attempt (!) to explain from a historical perspective how we arrived at the point of upwards of 2% of school aged kids with PA. Latest figure from Australia is 3% of children just with PA. Other food allergies are now an astonishing est. 8%. I'd like to add a some highlights from my book to this forum if readers are interested. For example: there are more peanut allergic boys than girls (under 18) in a ratio greater than 2:1.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:09 pm 

Very interesting! Could you post the title of your book? It sounds like an interesting read. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:55 pm 

Thanks for your interest! The book is "The History of the Peanut Allergy Epidemic" (2010) For more info: http://www.peanutallergyepidemic.com
All the best,

Heather

Gwen has edited book promotion in accordance with Forum rules.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:31 pm 

That does sound interesting. When I think of it a large majority of people I seem to talk to have sons with allergies.

QUESTION: Due to the increase in allergies being so drastic over the past few years I wonder about how the gender allergy correlation will work, will it shift? What I mean is, there seems to have been a HUGE boom of boys born in the past few years, could that be why more boys could possible have the highest number of childrens allergies right now. If say in the next few years more girls are born could the allergy scale shift by the time they are 3-5 yrs. to show more girls with allergies????

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:43 pm 

It is generally believed that globally, fewer boys are being born. Many attribute this decline (in many species, not just human) to endocrine system disrupting toxins in air, water, food. There is a well known example of the Aamjiwnaang First Nations community near Sarnia, Ontario, on the St. Clair river. This small pop is downriver of polluting petrochemical plants. In this community, female births outnumber male births 2:1 when the research was published in 2003.

Autism affects boys more often than girls, 4:1. Aspergers affects more boys than girls 10:1.

I'm being interviewed by AutismOne in June regarding the parallels between the accelerations of peanut allergy and autism. I'll send round a notice in advance.

It's like pieces of a puzzle -- some are starting to fit together.

Heather

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:33 pm 

That is really interesting. I recall someone who had traced back in her family tree looking for signs of allergies saying that in years past a fatal reaction may have only been attributed to other causes. Have you found any information in this regard?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:29 am 

Quote:
It is generally believed that globally, fewer boys are being born. Many attribute this decline (in many species, not just human) to endocrine system disrupting toxins in air, water, food.

Now that really is something to think about, very interesting thoughts. I had no idea about such a worldwide significant gender shift in population. Maybe there just seems to be more boys about as they are crazier and stand out more. :lol:
I had no idea about a stronger link between autism and boys and asbergers and boys.....is this just in North America??

Ok, here's another question. If there are fewer boys being born what is it in the male gene that is causing them to develop more allergies/autism. You would think that by default more girls would have these things just because there are more of them. Do they have any idea why such things are affecting males more drastically?
I also really liked Cathie's question regarding the family tree. Interesting!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish