You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:49 pm
Posts: 1
My son had an allergic reaction (quite severe) to peanut butter about 4 weeks ago. Today we saw a pediatric allergist, who did a scratch test on him for tree nuts and peanuts. He tested negative. She said we should still be concerned, and act as though he is allergic. She also is sending us for a blood test. Has anyone else had a PA toddler, who does not react to scratch test?
Thanks in advance!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:19 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 6462
Location: Ottawa
Was it a brand new jar of peanut butter? Could it have been contaminated by anything? Could it be an ingredient other than peanuts/tree nuts (most peanut butters are not 100% ground peanuts). If the peanut butter was consummed as a sandwich, could it have been the bread?

If he had a severe reaction, I would play it safe until you know what your dealing with. The gold standard is if you react when ingesting, then you are allergic. Tests can have false positives or negatives. Presumably, this is why the allergist is doing a RAST (blood test).

Glad you are seeing an allergist. So much has come to light in the past few years that it's hard to keep up.

_________________
Moderator
Daughter: asthma, allergies to egg, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, most legumes (not soy) & penicillin. Developing hayfever type allergies.
Husband: no allergies
Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:05 am
Posts: 646
Location: AB, Canada
Was the test done with actual PB or with the watery solution? My DS is highly allergic on skin tests & blood tests, but the PB test didn't react. The nurse was new, and the allergist said that it sometimes sits on the skin and multiple or slightly deeper scratches are needed.

_________________
DSs 7,7,9 all PA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:38 pm
Posts: 1643
Location: Toronto
In my family we often test negative. I tested negative even after having an anaphylactic reaction. My youngest tested negative to scratch tests the first time, but the second time, the allergist was shocked at how big the hive was from the scratch tests.

my granddaughter also tested negative, but the allergist said to treat as if allergic and carry an epi pen. She reacted (mildly) when she had accidental exposures...eating it or even touching.

_________________
self: allergy to sesame seeds and peanuts
3 sons each with at least one of the following allergies: peniciilin, sulfa-based antibiotic, latex, insect bites/stings


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 pm
Posts: 2034
Location: ottawa
Welcome teacher 101 :huggy

I agree with the all the posts and would also say to trust you instincts and trust the reactions. Our son has been tested very frequently over the past 2 1/2 years. After having had anaphylactic reactions to many foods most did have neg. s.p.'s at first. Some took 6 weeks to show positive and others took 1 1/2 years to finally show positive. Yet the common factor was he would react (to accidental exposure of course) violently with anaphylactic symptoms to those same foods the entire time. Just as other posters have said once the skin pricks finally did show positive they wheals were huge.

Trust the reaction. It isn't worth taking a chance. If s.p.'s continue to be negative, rast negative then your allergist may decide to do an oral challenge to confirm if it was in fact a reaction to peanuts or as Susan mentioned maybe another source. In the meantime be safe and avoid the foods your allergist suggested.

_________________
DD 12 yrs -no allergies
4 yr old DS - asthma/eczema Anaphylactic to Peanuts, all tree nuts, sesame , all pea/lentil legumes, gelatin.
Allergic to trees, grass,ragweed, feathers, dander, mold and dust.
Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group