You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Glee episode
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:26 pm 

I watched Glee for the first time tonight - as the Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of my favorite movies. I was disappointed when in one of the first scenes, the answer to a peers question of what are you going to be for Halloween, was a peanut allergy.

Insensitive, at most but as I watched the show and I saw kids of all sizes, colors, physical and intellectual abilities being represented respectfully and positively it occurred to me that this is a demonstration that it is ok to make fun of food allergies still. Never would the answer to what are you going to be for Halloween be disrespectful of someones color, size, intellectual or physical disability especially on Global which promotes diversity. This is a snap shot of what is acceptable in our culture.

Post subject: Re: Glee episode
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:09 am 

:verymad :banghead
You put it perfectly jomatt. I am disgusted as I visualize just what exactly that costume would look like and how many laughs it would get during the night....because you know with an audience of like a billion there will now be people out there who will copy that costume for real on Halloween night.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:58 pm 

There was no costume to visualize on the episode of Glee. The comment about what she would be for Hallowe'en, was made by the character Brittany. Most of the comments made by this character are ridiculous and naive. I saw no insensitivity. If Brittany said it, regular viewers know it is a foolish comment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 pm 

Cathie wrote:
There was no costume to visualize on the episode of Glee. The comment about what she would be for Hallowe'en, was made by the character Brittany. Most of the comments made by this character are ridiculous and naive. I saw no insensitivity. If Brittany said it, regular viewers know it is a foolish comment.

We (the kids and I) had this recorded and now have watched it and discussed. We have been big fans of Glee since the beginning and totally agree w/you.

It really showed the stupidity of her character once again.

Wouldn't it be educational if someone in the school suddenly developed a severe allergy? Maybe a weird one that not many people know about. Maybe Sue-it seems nothing could take her down-but we all know something could.
Oh gosh just reread this - by "take down" I didn't mean take out. I love her character!!
Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:41 pm 

I do watch Glee regularly, and was excited about the Rocky Horror episode. I missed the beginning so I didn't see the Brittany comment, but like others have mentioned it doesn't seem *as* offensive, considering the source. And was probably added to make her look stupid.

Everything affects viewers differently though, I'm still agonizing over whether or not to let my PA son watch Peanuts (Charles Schultz) videos. We have the Pumpkin & Christmas one, and as cute as they are, I am having trouble with the word 'Peanuts'.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:48 pm 

It is good to know that the character is one that is one that would be insensitive. She still would not be able to get away making fun of a difference that is respected such as color or abilities. I contacted Global and never got a response. Respecting diversity is respecting diversity whether it's minor or major disrespect, it should be pointed out. I think that respect for color, sexual orientation, abilities and more has not been given but insisted upon. But I accept that as my opinion.

My relationship with all things peanut/nut has been interesting as well. I didn't even like to see the Mr. Peanut hot air balloon in our town - and then I have to remember that some people don't have to think about nuts. Like we used to - they have a relationship with food that is so different than ours. I have stopped commenting every time a story or a song mentions peanut butter - he knows what he needs to about safety and if he mentions it that ok too.