You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 pm 

Quote:
Compared to children without peanut or tree nut allergies, kids who have both these allergies may also be more likely to develop an allergy to sesame seeds, a small study suggests.

The researchers linked a history of dual allergic reactions to peanuts and tree nuts with a 10-fold higher risk of allergy to sesame seeds - the tiny seeds that are commonly found in hummus and on hamburger buns.

The researchers also looked for a link between nut allergies and coconut allergies, but they did not find one.

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/healt ... 3349.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:19 pm 

Thanks for posting this. I have all of these allergies, and, anecdotally, know many other people who do as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:43 pm 

Hi Andrea! My curiosity for clarity - are you allergic to coconut as well?

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:17 pm 

I'm allergic to peanut and tree nut AND coconut but not sesame. I am always aware when I'm out and having a burger with sesame on it. It's like I would not be shocked to start to react, I do find they have a nutty taste. (this is from someone who does not eat nuts) :dungetit
I really can't believe I don't have a problem with them?? But thankful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:19 pm 

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:36 pm 

Hi, Michele. For me, it's peanuts, tree nuts, and sesame. Coconut is fine. I have other allergies as well. but those are the ones to which I have anaphylaxis.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:47 pm 

Hi Andrea, Thx for the answer. It sure goes to show, there just seems to be no rhyme or reason with allergies. By the way, I notice you have a bunch of letters after your name. I am assuming it is something allergy support group. I would sure like to know more. As you can see, I am from Alberta and would like way more information I have tried to contact the groups listed for Alberta and have had not much luck :scratchy Maybe school administration and government are right when they say I'm the only one that seems to have any concerns here. I wonder what I could do to raise more awareness and get more involvement.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:26 pm 

Hi! Yes, I run the Montreal support group. Separately, I also work as an allergy coach, but I'm being careful not to promote that here as it would feel kind of 'spammy'. (Just mentioning it in context, and you or anyone else who reads this can always feel free to contact me by PM.) The support group is quiet at the moment -- I'm looking for volunteers to help get events off the ground, and have a few planned, though they're in Mtl. I'm also working on a new online interface. When it's complete, you're always welcome to sign up, even if you're not local.

Alternatively, the Ottawa group run by Karen is fantastic, and already have a solid online presence. They may be found at http://www.ottawaasg.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:45 pm 

Provides additional information on study:

Quote:
Coconut has also appeared on the radar of allergists, particularly since the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued new labeling laws that categorize it as a tree nut.

"In reality, it is a palm fruit," added Fleischer, who was not involved in the new study but has published widely on peanut and tree nut allergies. "The FDA has confused the public."

To help sort out these relationships, Dr. Wanda Phipatanakul, of Children's Hospital Boston, and her colleagues studied the medical records of 191 children who had skin prick tests for sesame allergy and 40 who had tests for coconut allergy.

About 37 percent and 20 percent of the kids had positive test results to sesame and coconut, respectively, suggesting that their immune systems produced antibodies in reaction to the food.

When the researchers looked only at the children who had already proved sensitive to peanuts or tree nuts, between 50 percent and 60 percent showed sensitivity to sesame. Overall, they had a 6- to 10-fold higher risk of sesame sensitivity compared to children who did not have peanut or tree nut sensitivity, the researchers report in the medical journal Pediatric Allergy and Immunology.

But just because kids are "sensitized" doesn't mean they are truly allergic, Phipatanakul told Reuters Health in an e-mail.

Between 13 percent and 15 percent of peanut and tree nut allergic children were actually allergic to sesame, which turned out to be about the same proportion as among kids who didn't have the nut allergies.

The rate of sesame allergy jumped up to 50 percent for children allergic to both nuts, however.

Coconut sensitization or allergy, on the other hand, did not appear to be related to kids' reactions to peanut, tree nut or both.

http://elbiruniblogspotcom.blogspot.com ... often.html