You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:33 pm 

I'm having a hard time finding out if the Webber Naturals 'Certified Organic Ground Flaxseed' is peanut-safe. I've checked on their website but, surprisingly, they only state that it contains no artificial colours, preservatives, sweeteners, dairy, starch, wheat or yeast.

They do have a 1-800 number but it isn't active on the weekends. Has anyone used this product? I've added it to a banana bread that I made today.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:57 pm 

After purchasing a gigantic Costco sized bag of the stuff I called and finally got through only to hear that they are NOT peanut safe.

GRRR!

Does anyone know of a brand of flax seed (crushed or not) that is safe for peanut/tree nut allergies? It seems that the warehousers/processors of seeds are also those who deal with nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 am 

I have never found safe flax seed but we are avoiding sesame as well as pn and tn's.
The flax seed double pack - comes in a box sold at Costco (can't remember the brand) didn't list any top allergens. I had to return it as I called when I got home and sure enough it was processed in a sesame facility. They said it wasn't an ingredient so they didn't have to list it.

I also found the same for several other brands and sesame seemed to be the cause every time of cross contamination but wasn't listed.

To be honest I finally gave up on the 'safe' flax seed hunt.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:30 pm 

edited to add: didn't realize this questions was in the Peanut allergy section (yes, it is clear in the post but obviously I shouldn't respond to posts when home sick) --- only looked at tree nuts

At London Drugs, I got ground flax in a white bag that said it might not be safe for those with tree nuts - when I called they said there were not tree nuts at the plant but that many people allergic to tree nuts were allergic to flax. I do not recall the brand. Since I only need to watch for TN I don't recall other allergens.

Last edited by walooet on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 pm 

Quote:
I got ground flax in a white bag that said it might not be safe for those with tree nuts - when I called they said there were not tree nuts at the plant but that many people allergic to tree nuts were allergic to flax

The funny part about that is IF it were true that those with a TN allergy were also allergic to flax then there should be no need for a warning for tree nuts as why would those people even be looking to buy flax in the first place? :scratchy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:08 am 

I did buy some and called the company they said it is 100% free of peanut and treenut. (thats what I need) now I just cant remember where I bought it :scratchy Would have been Sobeys or Save-on or Superstore. I think I tore some info off the top but pkg is yellow, same size as the ones at Costco. The company is CanMar Grain Products Ltd. Made in Regina, SK. www.roastedflax.com I had sent them an e-mail and in his reply said they only work with flax. Please do your own Q to them but I feel very confident that it is fine for pn/tn allergy. Hope you can find it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:28 am 

Thanks for all the replies. I've been set back by the flu but I did manage to put a call in to Webber Naturals this morning and now I'm waiting for a call back. I want to be sure. If I can't use it at least I can give the 2 bags of flax seed to someone who can use it.

How much flaxseed to you add to your baked goods? I added 1/4 cup to a double loaf batch of banana bread (I decreased the flour by 1/4 cup as well) and my husband found it a little drier than usual. It was my first time using flaxseed. Any suggestions?