You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:04 pm 

I read an article in a health magazine recently that roasted peas (yes the green ones) make a fool proof alternative to peanut butter. Same texture and apparently same taste. Its apparently available Canada wide and manufactured in Alberta. None of the grocery chains I checked carry them. Does anyone have any info about this product or any pseudo peanut butter product safe for us?
H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:01 pm 

I buy Pea-butter and like it. My husband also likes it. We are not allergic to peanuts but my 7 year old son is allergic to peanuts. He tried it and he definitely does not like it. He has never tasted peanut butter in his life so he would not be used to the taste of it. My daughter who is not allergic to peanuts also does not like it and says it is not like peanut butter ( she will have a peanut butter sandwich at her friends house and likes the real stuff). I think it is the closes thing to peanut butter there is and I buy it on a regular basis. I have tried one other product that was supposed to be close to peanut butter but it tasted aweful and I ended up throwing it out. I think it was called Soy nut butter? I really like the Pea-butter product and buy it at Sobeys in Halifax (It is in the same spot as regular peanut butter) and have bought it a Pete's Fruitique. I hope you have luck in finding it. bev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:28 pm 

Hi.

I have adult on-set peanut and sesame seed allergy. I grew up eating and LOVING peanutbutter. I have tried pumpkin seed butter, soynut butter, and peabutter.

Definitely the peabutter is best. :)

Here's the web-site.

http://www.peabutter.ca/

They have recipes there too, though i still haven't tried any of them.

It is not exactly the same as peanutbutter. But a few people that I've given it to (who are not allergic to peanuts) like it. We buy it at the Loblaws stores.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:43 pm 

purchased it from Loblaws. Which location?? I tried the one at Scarlett Rd and Dundas St W in Etobicoke and they didnt have it.

Is it in the health food section or the organics? Did you easily find it or did you have to ask??

TIA!
H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:51 pm 

We tried peabutter too and it was really good. I thought it tasted really close to peanutbutter. Josh loved it... of course he's not very picky with his peanut butter sandwiches... his theory is if it looks like peanut butter then it is peanut butter. LOL
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:29 pm 

I'm in the opposite end of the city - near Scarborough. We have found it at most of the Loblaws - and even the stores that sell Loblaws no-name products.

The store at Victoria Park & Lawrence has it - and the Loblaws Superstore at DonMills and Eglinton (bonus there - you can get Krispy Kreme Doughnuts on the main level. :D ).

At first I had to hunt to find the Peabutter - but now it's on the peanutbutter shelf.

Check the link I put in my previous link - it shows the label so you will know exactly what you are looking for.

My husband just walked in and told me that Dominion is carrying it now too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:05 pm 

There was a new Real Cdn Superstore (Loblaws) built by us recently so Ill check them out.

Thanks!
H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:50 pm 

My family has been eating the No Nuts Peabutter for nearly a year now. I can buy it at Fortinos and our local IGA. Both stores stock it on the shelf with peanut butter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:17 pm 

I HAD to try it out when I got home and it umm ummm GOOD! :D
H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:49 am 

Has anyone tried baking with it? It's a bit expensive for experimenting. There are recipes on the web-site, but I've never tried them, nor any of my own peanutbutter recipes (which I just can't throw away).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:41 am 

I saw nut free pea butter (the actual brand name has leaked out of my brain) at the Safeway Store tonight. It was in the peanut butter section ... $6.50 a jar! Wow ... but I also have adult onset peanut allergy and I really miss peanut butter so I am thinking of giving it a try.
Barb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:36 am 

Barb, I only know of one brand of peabutter. If you check the link I posted in this thread you can see the picture on the label.

It is more expensive then peanut butter, but I don't usually pay $6.50 a jar for it.

Post subject: Peabutter-becarefull!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:11 am 

I just wanted to let everyone know who has a severe allergy to peanuts to be wary of peas. Peas and peanuts come from the same family. I myself am allergic to both , peas only slightly but I avoid them. I was surprised to find this out, a doctor at Toronto's Western Hospital Asthma clinic informed me of this. I will look for the list I was given about other foods that are related to each other and might cause a problem and post it asap. As for the peabutter, I have also seen it in dominon. Hope this helps :wink:

Post subject: Peabutter in cooking
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:40 pm 

AnnaMarie we've been able to get peabutter at Safeway and Superstore (Loblaws) since November of 2002. The first time I saw it, I just grabbed it and didn't even look at the price but it was $4.99 which has now settled into around $5.50. My peanut/almond allergic daughter didn't like the taste but my husband, non-allergic daughter and I use it since we have a peanut/nut free home. Given the choice, I'd have peanut butter but this is a great substitute.

I have tried baking with it with mixed results. Our whole family does like it in baking. I've tried it with my grandmother's peanut butter cookie recipe which worked well for me but when my niece tried baking these with the girls, it ended up in one big cookie mess in the pan. Perhaps this was after they reformulated to reduce the hydrogenated fats so it wasn't as stable. When I was able to find safe coconut, I also used it in the stovetop peanut butter, coconut, marshmallow squares (my grandmother called them marshmallow squares) and it was fine. I've also made Satay and other Thai sauces although it can clump very easily when warmed up and can separate. We don't use it a lot in cooking but it's nice to know that, with experimentation, it is possibly to have old family favourites occasionally. I hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:18 pm 

islandgirl, that stove-top recipe sounds good. If it's not a family secret maybe you could post it in the recipe thread. :)