You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:43 pm 

i was diagnosed with the nut allergy when i was very young and i'm not sure how it came about but i can eat some processed peanut products and i can't actually eat a whole peanut! i'm only able to eat smooth peanut butter, reeses pieces, crispy crunch, etc. and i have no allergic reaction!

when i do accidentally eat any nut, i have the common symptons of throat closure and the inside of my mouth swelling!

i should probably inquire with a doctor next time about it but since i don't see doctors that often, i wanted to see if anyone on the board has heard of my weird allergy!

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:31 pm 

Have you been tested for allergies? If not, I would you go asap to your family doctor to get referred to an allergist.

Maybe what you have is Oral Allergy Syndrome to nuts. My friend's son has that and he is not allergic to peanuts. He can eat peanut butter. His reaction sounds like yours, throat tightness, tingling in the mouth. He carries an epi-pen just in case even though is reaction doesn't get worse than that.

You should definitely get this confirmed though, as oral allergy syndrome can sometimes turn into anaphylaxis, especially with tree nuts.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:56 pm 

My good friend is also allergic to tree nuts, but can eat peanuts and peanut butter. Her 7 year old son, however, is allergic to peanuts, and they avoid all nuts as well. So it is possible to have an allergy to tree nuts, but not peanuts. Peanuts are a legume, and are not a nut. Quite often, however, the two allergies go hand in hand.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:43 pm 

As Julie said, peanuts are a legume while tree nuts are not. So they're not related and you can certainly be allergic to peanuts but not to tree nuts, and vice versa.

I agree that seeing an allergist would be a good idea - they've come a long way baby (well, some of them...). Also make sure you always carry your EpiPen or Twinject with you. If you don't have an EpiPen or Twinject, get yourself to the nearest doctor and get a prescription. Or buy one yourself over the counter if you don't mind paying for it. Please. The throat closing obviously isn't a good sign (but I know you know that!).

The other thing to keep in mind is the very high risk of cross-contamination between peanuts and tree nuts in processed food. If I had a peanut allergy, I would check all products to make sure that there isn't a risk that they (a) also contain tree nuts or (b) could contain nuts or traces of nuts -- because of cross-contamination during the manufacturing process.

So as weird as it may seem, I would, for example, call the folks who make the peanut butter you eat or the Reeses Pieces or the Crispy Crunch and ask them if there is a risk that the product has come into contact with any kind of tree nuts.

Hope this helps! I'm glad you've found the forum. :)

K.