You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Chemical Name for Peanut
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:34 pm 

I would advise that you learn the 'chemical names' often used for 'peanut' and 'nuts' if a person has one or both allergies. It sure doesn't hurt . I do know that peanut is listed as chemical name: 'Arachidic Acid' in products and I know that the chemical name for 'Almond/Sweet Almond Oil', 'Prunus dulcis' .I have found that the latter is quite often in beauty products. You have to stay constant about checking out every product that you wish to use. One phone call to find out sure beats the odds of an ANA reaction. I have spent over a decade discussing my allergies and simply being in the 'need to know'. with every company out there. I have quite a large file of what I can and can not use. My file is from Toothpaste to Cosmetics to Laundry Detergent. Not to mention every Food Manufacturer. Most know me by now and I have been very fortunate that, when I call, if the person in question does not have the answer, they will always get back to me. I am kind to them and they return the favor.

In the last few years I have noticed a huge difference in my calls. They aren't so unusual. The staff are actually quite well versed about allergies. Quite impressive. In my case Avoidance is key.

Most recently, I was rushed to hospital Emerg. for treatment. Not once, but 4 times in 6 days. Turned out to be my worst night mare at the time, every day I thought I was better, it would happen again. Just when I thought I could not get any worse with the hives, Lips swelling, Throat closing and all the symptoms, there I was back again. IV and all the meds etc. My allergist feels it was meds that I was on. I still have to go for my skin tests to determine other foods. I am ana to nuts and peanuts and certain meds. I have had to wait to get all of the prednisone out of my system and cant use anahistimines for 5 days etc. in order to get a possible result to show positive etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:55 pm 

That's too bady Monty, I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you for the info, I was wondering about arachidic acid myself. Your post confirms my suspicion. I'm French and the French name for peanut is "arachide", so that's what tipped me off. My allergic daughter is a teenager who worries about her hair (typical!) and there seems to be a lot of hair products with this stuff. I will warn her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:06 am 

I recently discovered a self tanner with arachidyl glucoside and arachidyl alcohol in the ingredient listings. Both of these ingredients are derived from arachidic acid.

I am very grateful we live in a bilingual country and my parents insisted that I take french all through high school!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:47 am 

Yes, learning another language certainly makes you more knowledgeable with word roots.

FYI, another French name for peanuts is "cacahuète".

And also, in the South of the United States, like in Georgia, they call peanuts "goobers". So if you travel there and you see that word, beware!

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:59 pm 

In the UK, peanuts are also called "monkey nuts".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:09 am 

Many thanks as I was not aware of either of those alternative names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:39 pm 

Monty,
I have trouble w/ some of the excipients in meds, such as Yellow Dye and sulfites. A very good Pharmacist finally helped me figure this out.

Did you have the testing and determine what was causing your problem?

Daisy

Post subject: Arachidic Acid
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:09 am 

Arachidic Acid
Other names- Icosanoic Acid, N-elcosanoic Acid

This can be found in Infusium Hair shampoo color/permed, Also Infusium 23 Hair Condtioner Revitilize for normal/dry, and Infusium Hair Shampoo moisturizing.

Hope this helps- AJ

Daughter 8 Peanut/hazelnut/brazilian nut/shellfish/cats/dogs allergy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:48 pm 

Wow - I didn't actually realize Icosanoic Acid or N-elcosanoic Acid indicated peanut. I've never heard of those terms before.

Thanks!

K.