You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:41 am 

just thought i'd add something about the supplier swiss chalet's supplier is called "Cara"

they also supply food to Harvey's, Milestones, Montana's, Kelsey's and the Second Cup coffee (which explains possible cross-conamination because of the varied menus) they do have a website www.cara.com/ i'm sure that they will have more answers for you as to what the plant practices are hope this helps you all out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:58 pm 

They also do airline catering.

Self - Allergic to housework only

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:59 pm 

Hey Nicole -- I like your allergy "to housework". How about "allergy to cooking & grocery shopping"?!? I could go for that. Maybe should work on developing some itchy rash or something ... maybe some coughing and fainting ... don't anyone take this personally now ... we all know how serious allergies are. But wouldn't it be great to actually be allergic to something you didn't like in the first place?? Happy holidays everyone (HA! Holidays are one of the more stressful times for people with food allergies, right?)

Selina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:57 am 

Hi Selina, glad you liked my attempt at humour. Yes, definitely allergic to cooking and grocery shopping (I yawn all the way through), that goes without saying.

Yes, I am not trivializing the seriousness of allergies at all, it's just for fun.

There was this one poster ( forget who) whose child said they were allergic to this one food they didn't like (like Brussels sprouts or something). Nice try!!! :lol:

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:33 pm 

not sure if it is the case at your Swiss Chalet but ours now preps salads and desserts in the same area of the restaurant. So I've watched the staff cut pecan pie and then dish up a salad(!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Suggestion: does someone have time to write up a letter that can be from the members of the Allergicliving forum? e.g. It could list out some of the allergen concerns, serving practices and mention how important a restaurant like Swiss Chalet is to parents with allergic kids. And then it could request that they change some of these practices.

I think if we said it was from Karen Eck and Gwen Smith on behalf of more than 800 registered members of Allergicliving.com, that might give the request more weight. I'd stick to the major stuff to have the most chance of effectiveness.

If others think that's a good idea, is there a volunteer?

thanks, Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:18 am 

Hi all,

I'm really allergic to shellfish so I was very surprised to see that someone posted that the Chalet sauce has shellfish in it, especially since I've been eating it all my life. I checked the website and the Chalet sauce is safe from allergens (the common ones) except for sulphites. The gravy, however, (as in mashed potatoes and gravy, not the free sauce you get) has listings for almost everything including eggs and shellfish.

I think this is an important distinction to make in this thread - when it comes to shellfish chalet sauce okay gravy not okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:38 pm 

Hi All,
Another allergen of concern at Swiss Chalet is natural latex rubber. My allergist warned me after another patient had a severe reaction. I haven't eaten there for close to 5 years until my sister found one near her that doesn't use latex. I was hoping that they came with the times and changed over at all their restaurants. Upon checking, all but one within an one hour drive use latex gloves. I guess I need to visit my sister more to eat there!
I have emailed Cara food about this. I can eat at their other restaurants within their chains like Kelsey, Montana's and stand alone Harveys as they don't use latex.
Tammy

Post subject: swiss chalet
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:55 pm 

My son is allergic to tree nuts, and we've had great experiences at many different Swiss Chalets all over Ontario.
They've substituted kids' meal dessert ice cream with little packages of Skittles, too.

Mother of Samson, 3, hazelnut allergy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:02 pm 

I was in Mississauga the past few days to visit my folks and I almost cried the night we arrived and I was able to order Swiss Chalet... Same 1-800 number as at home, same ordering process, no nasty surprises.... I love Swiss Chalet!!! (Even if my youngest son, for whom we order it, has decided that he doesn't like the chicken anymore!)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:21 pm 

Just a word of caution to those with peanut allergy -- Swiss Chalet's on-line Allergy Guide http://www.swisschalet.com/allergy.php is erroneously missing a check mark under "Peanuts and peanut products" where it reads "Caesar Salad" and "Side Caesar Salad" (Caesar dressing is correctly marked). I sent them an email and received this response: (I actually got excited and thought that they might have changed suppliers!!)

Quote:

> Thank you for your email.
> I must apologize for the errors in our online brochure. The printed
nutrition guide is correct but something happened when the guide went online
and many checkmarks were dropped. Every Caesar Salad at Swiss Chalet should
list as Allergens:
>
> Peanuts and Peanut Products
> Sesame
> Milk and Milk Products
> Eggs and Egg Sources
> Fish
> Soy
> Wheat and Gluten
> Sulphites
>
>
> The manufacturer of the Dressing does not actually use any peanut and
peanut products or sesame in the ingredient. It's just that there is the
potential for cross-contamination in the plant where it is produced. I am
sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you and we will be updating the
information on the website.
>
> Regards,
> Guest Services
> Swiss Chalet

and when asked if they were going to be changing dressing and plum sauce suppliers:

Quote:
Unfortunately, our marketing team has not shared any decisions on additional supplier information for our sauces and condiments used throughout our restaurants.

I would be more than happy to pass along your suggestion at this time, but again no decisions have been shared from our marketing department with regards to this matter.

Sincerely,
Guest Services
Swiss Chalet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:35 am 

We have always had Swiss Chalet with no problems. My dd is almost ten and allergic to peanuts since one. I have never encountered anything but courteous service and great help re: allergies. Sorry to hear about the other situations but perhaps it depends on which restaurant you go to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:41 pm 

Swiss Chalet used to be the one restaurant where I'd be able to eat something. With the wheat allergy (and then, years later, celiac), the bun went out the window. Then the baked potato followed (potato allergy). I feel like I'm reacting very mildly to the chicken---based on past experience, that probably means I *am* reacting. I wonder if there is anything corn-based on the chicken or in the spices or something. They couldn't tell me when I called. Or perhaps it is the latex gloves used in preparation--I'm allergic to latex now. I don't think i'm that sensitive to latex, but it is hard to tell.

Everyone else in my family can eat at Swiss Chalet, however. They do seem fairly allergy-aware. One server suggested that a family member ask for a baked potato which has *not* been cut by the knife. This particular server thought there could be x-contamination issues otherwise.

The last tiime I went to Swiss Chalet with a friend, I brought a small cooler with me (I was commuting, and had to carry a lot of food with me). My friend ordered lunch, and I ate my own food from home. I had asked before if this would be okay, but the hostess decided to put us where we weren't too visible. That didn't sit right with me. Other times, though, they've been gracious about the cooler issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:45 am 
Site Admin

I'm one of those who depends on the "Chalet" as one of two takeout places I can use. (The other's a safe pizza place.)

I forego the sauce - soy in it, and some of the salad dressings. I use my own dressing on the garden salad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:50 pm 

Just wanted to give a heads-up that Swiss Chalet has updated their allergen listing. There are a number of new items that now have an "X" under tree nut allergies that weren't there previously. Also interesting is that their Caesar salad / dressing and plum sauce, are no longer listed as an issue for peanut allergies. I've fired them off an email seeking some clarification on the changes and will post once I get a reply.

(to link to another thread about Swiss Chalet:
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589 )