You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Old Spaghetti Factory
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:06 pm 

Well, we had a bit of an adventure OSF yesterday! We forced ourselves out of the regular haunts and tried some place new. Next time we will phone ahead. . .

After a 40 minute wait, we were seated in the middle of the restaurant, between the drafts of the two doors. So we were a little uncomfortable to start. We were given the bread and told the server would be there in a moment. My PA son wanted the chilcken fingers and we of course mentioned the allergy when we ordered. Almost right away the manager came over and said that he ought not have any breaded products. . . and no bread either. Of course this is after my carbo-boy had eaten 3 pieces :shock: (HOW did we forget this? We were SO lucky there were no effects!) So he tried to order fries, but no luck -- they would be cooked in the same oil. So my little guy ordered a big plate of plain pasta. And they took away the bread. And they said that we can't have the ice cream (we knew that). And my lilttle boy just sat there and pierced his lips. . . and then shrugged and asked for a rootbeer.

Sometimes it is just so hard to watch this 'drama' of his allergy affect every little single thing he wants to do. I know other people have more allergies and greater struggles, but I need the lingo to tell him I am sometimes as disappointed as he is without making it a big deal. But I was VERY grateful that the staff knew what to do and how to address this issue -- might of helped as the server also had a peanut allergy.

Sigh. Tuesday is my boy's birthday and he wants to go to Swiss Chalet. I least I know they are pretty up on things!!

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:47 am 

wow, that's a very limited list of items that one could have at the SF. I guess it's a good thing we don't venture out too often at all. I hope your son enjoys his Swiss Chalet meal :D

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:15 pm 

We had an OSF incident as well and won't eat there anymore. They did take me through the kitchen and although I can't remember exactly what it was that convinced me of this, I knew it wasn't a good choice.

We have had some success at Boston Pizza though. Although we haven't gone for years the best one was the one on Hillside and Shelbourne. It's still limited to plain spaghetti and there was one other thing, I think it was french fries and a drink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:25 am 

The worst eating out experience I ever had with Aaron was at OSF too!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:32 am 

In Victoria, if you call Psareo's in advance or even go there and see what they have on the menu they'll be very good if you're looking for somewhere to dine. We love going there and they always remember us when we come in the door (even when we forget to call ahead). They can make a couple things that will be safe and we've found them very understanding about avoiding cross contamination. Sorry, I think I've spelled Psareo's wrong. It's the one on the corner of Cook and Yates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:51 am 

Wow, i'm surprised. My OSF experiences have been very positive and i've never been told to avoid the bread. I've also always had a manager come right away. But then again, i've always eaten pasta, i can see why chicken fingers and fires would be a problem though. Oh wait, the chicken fingers and fries are usually problems for me due to contamination from deep-fried fish not with anything peanut-y. hmmm strange

Caroline