You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Kelsey's
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:30 am 

I have friends (sisters) who have shellfish allergies, and they asked before they ordered their meals if what they had ordered would come in contact with the shellfish on the menu, and they were assured it would not by their server.

They hardly got into their meals when the two of them started to swell up, they both grabbed their epi's and were fine (thankfully!). When they told their server that they had reacted the person was very rude to them, and told them she had never said that it would not come in contact with it!

Can you beleive the nerve!? So be careful there, they clearly don't train their staff right. I know a lot of places have polcies of when there is a severe problem with their food, ie food poisoning, allergy related, their staff is trained to simply tell the costomer to contact head office, and not to talk to any meida who might inquire.

Again BEWARE!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:36 pm 

I have to agree with you, dustytiger. This is just my opinion, but I personally think restaurants are generally fairly unsafe places for those with severe food allergies, and you have to be pretty careful about where you eat, especially for allergies that are not as "mediatized" as peanuts and nuts.

For a lot of restaurants, there is so much turnover in staff, that even if they wanted to have good allergy policies and make sure their staff were well-educated on allergies, there just wouldn't be the time to keep training all the new people.

This new book I've been reading (The Complete Peanut Allergy Handbook) basically says that if you can't talk to the person preparing the food, you probably shouldn't be eating the food. It's just not a good idea to rely solely on the wait staff to get it right.

That doesn't excuse the way the server acted to your friends, though. That's pretty inexcusable behaviour, and if it were me, I'd have bumped things up the foodchain pronto - starting with the manager and taking it from there.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:52 am 

I agree, Karen. When I get out of school and get a job, I *might* look into finding a restaurant where I feel safe eating, but it is tricky...especially with multiple food allergies. A large proportion of my more severe reactions as a child occurred in restaurants...and my parents didn't eat out that much. But they didn't ask all the questions that we are now advised to....they just generally asked the server about ingredients when we arrived.

I read an article in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology in which the researchers asked restaurant workers allergy-related questions. A lot of people who were 100% confident in their ability to prepare food for allergic customers had really scary beliefs....like a little bit of the allergen wouldn't hurt anybody. i'll try to find the article one of these days.

One really good idea: at the mayo clinic website, they recommend that people with allergies carry a chef card....the idea is that the person actually preparing the food needs to be informed.