You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:11 pm 

Well, upon hearing everyone being so positive about BP, we decided to venture out. I went in first and asked to speak to the manager and explained our situation. He said "We have no peanuts here...we got rid of all that stuff a long time ago...nothing to worry about...we flag it in the kitchen...binder with ingredients listed...etc, etc..." I explained tree nuts to him providing examples and how they are often used in salads, and he again assured me nothing to worry about. So we returned with kids in tow and were seated. Our waitress was wonderful as I told her about the allergy. She went to place our drink orders and as we opened the menu, the first thing we saw was a pizza with peanut sauce, a salad with pecans and another asian dish with peanut sauce!!! I almost fell off my chair. Especially when I specifically asked about the salads!!! I took a deep breath and took my menu over to the manager. As I "reaquainted" him with the menu, he looked quite embarassed. I found it quite shocking that this manager didn't even know what items were listed on the menu. I told him my concerns again, with cross contamination of the pizza cutter, etc. and he assured me he would personally go and ensure our order was prepared properly. After all of that, we did have a great meal and the kids had a wonderful time...I am not sure if it is true for all BP's, but our local one has a magician every Saturday night and a clown every Sunday night!!! Our boys had a blast with their sword balloons! Our waitress did not even bring the cookies but directed us straight to the toy treasure chest...so...we did decide we would go back and try the Sunday night clown next time!
By the way, I also noted that there is a Kitchen Manager who was floating on the floor checking all the meals. I think next time I will ask to speak to him.

Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:05 pm 

My SIL and BIL both work at BP's. My SIL recently told me that the peanut sauce is "artificially flavored" and does not contain peanuts.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:13 pm 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
My SIL recently told me that the peanut sauce is "artificially flavored" and does not contain peanuts.

If I owned BP, I'd find another name for the sauce then!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:49 pm 

How about "artificially flavored peanut style sauce"...now doesn't that sound appetizing :lol: .

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:18 pm 

yeah but people wouldn't order something called "gentic food expermination 4242" with the discription," this delight sauce is made with a new gentetic food substance, which is nearly indistigishable from peanut, servered with... please note this is an execellent allernative for those with peanut allergies to once again enjoy the taste of peanut without the risk of death"

seriously this board gets me thinking far too much about what is in the foods we ingest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:10 am 
Site Admin

You can go to the Boston Pizza website to view the nutritional information. Too bad the same can't be said for the ingredients.
Wouldn't life be simpler if you could do some research from home rather than in a busy restaurant when you and your family are hungry?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:46 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
Wouldn't life be simpler if you could do some research from home rather than in a busy restaurant when you and your family are hungry?

That's what I like about Swiss Chalet. It's all online.

I emailed a rival of theirs - St-Hubert - and they replied "For your convenience, we have binders at each restaurant with blah blah blah..." I emailed back to say that it actually wasn't convenient to go into the restaurant to do allergy research as I have a job and 2 small kids!!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:47 am 

dustytiger wrote:
yeah but people wouldn't order something called "gentic food expermination 4242" with the discription," this delight sauce is made with a new gentetic food substance, which is nearly indistigishable from peanut, servered with... please note this is an execellent allernative for those with peanut allergies to once again enjoy the taste of peanut without the risk of death"

dustytiger, you crack me up. :lol: You should get a job in food marketing!! :wink:

K.