You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Outback Steakhouse
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:40 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has ventured out to the Outback Steakhouse here in Canada and if so, what your experience was with staff awareness and willingness to accomodate you or your child's allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:58 am 

I havn't eaten in an Outback here in Canada, but recently ate at one in the States. The waiter really seemed to "get it", and have a good understanding of allergies and cross-contamination. I hope it's the same here. Obviously, it could vary even from restaurant to restaurant within the same province, unless they have a corporate policy on staff training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:49 pm 

My DH and I went on holidays this past week, without the children and had dinner at Outback. We went with my DH's cousin who when ordering asked for no parm cheese on his salad. Right away the waitress asked if he was allergic, which he's not. BUT it made me willing to ask about our DD's allergens in their kitchen and after asking her manager she came back an informed me that they don't have any peanut or peanut products and no sesame to their knowledge BUT if we were to go make sure we inform the waitress so they can check all the ingredients on things we order. So now I'm pretty excited because I'd be willing to go there with DD and try it out!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:28 am 

That's really encouraging to hear! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:36 am 

We took the plunge and went to Outback this weekend as a family. We got there as soon as it opened and as soon as the asked if it was seating for 4 I told them about DD's allergies. The chef & manager were standing with the hostess and immediately the Chef started asking all the questions. And immediately informed us that the bread has traces of sesame. I told him what we were planning on ordering and asked about her other allergens in it (Their version of mac n cheese) and it was fine.

The waitress immediately brought us some bread as they always do and we just asked her to take it away. When she came back we again explained DD's allergies. I wasn't as impressed with the waitress as I was with the cook. When the waitress brought my food out there was bread in it :roll: I just asked her to take the bread away. I was happy though that she asked me if it was ok that the bread touched my meal.

I think because I spoke with the Chef before even sitting down I felt pretty good about the whole situation. I was also happy because she didn't even ask us about dessert either.

We'd go back again. It was our first time eating out as a family in almost a year, since we first found out about DD's allergies.
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:02 pm 

We just got back from dinner at Outback Steakhouse. Our waitress was knowledgeable about allergies. She said the bread (the little loaf they serve on a board) was not made on the premises and recommended that my son not eat it. She also told us to avoid the desserts.

By the way, the website mentioned in the summer issue of Allergic Living is the US one. If you go here http://www.outback.ca it will take you directly to the Canadian site.

Allergy info here: http://www.outback.com/ourmenu/nutrition.asp#allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:50 pm 

We had an awesome experience at the Whitby, Ontario Outback. When i called ahead, the woman i spoke to took things very seriously and helped me understand what menu items should be safe.

When we arrived, I spoke to our waitress, and gave her a card with the allergens we are avoiding to take into the kitchen. Not long after, the owner came out to talk us and personally took care of my son's meals.

As I said, we had called ahead and had an idea of what might be safe and not safe, and so brought some of our own bread and margarine and rice. He was totally okay with that - just took the rice back to the kitchen to warm it up, and didn't even take it out of the container because he felt that was safer. I was very impressed.

We didn't bother to do dessert - we had planned to do that back at our hotel.

I have been meaning to do a little write-up and shout-out about it but got sidetracked with all the other things in my life.

I realize that every franchise might be a bit different, but like I said, our experience was awesome.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:44 pm 

Karen - how great for you and your family to have been able to eat there! I'm so glad you had a good experience there :D