You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:10 pm 

My daughter has a severe peanut allergy so dining out is a challenge however she really enjoys the experience of eating out. I just wanted to share that we had a very positive experience with Boston Pizza.

Upon learning that we had a peanut allergy, our server first presented us with a very extensive ingredient listing and also had a manager visit us. We then also were informed that they a different prep and cooking area for patrons with food allergies.

The staff appeared to be well versed in food allergies in general including cross-contamination and this has been the case each and everytime we visit.

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:52 pm 

Jeff, thanks for sharing. We haven't done a lot of dining out since we discovered my son's peanut allergy -- it's just so stressful wondering if the wait staff or the staff in general "get" the severity of his allergy. It's sounds as though they've had some training/education and I'll definitely give them a try. Thanks again! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:01 pm 

I agree. We had a positive experience at the Boston Pizza in Whitby, Ontario. The waiter was extremely knowledgeable about food allergies and also proceeded to explain the policy when preparing a dish for someone with allergies. The order is immediately flagged in the kitchen and is prepared separately after all utensils, pans, cooking surfaces have been cleaned again and double checked. I was very impressed. I wish all restaurants could have staff that is so aware of the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:38 pm 

I agree. Boston Pizza is on my list of restaurants where I feel pretty comfortable eating. The servers are pretty great about the allergy thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:43 pm 

My only complaint is that they *always* bring those darn cookies to the tabels for the kids even after we've been through the whole nut allergy discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:10 pm 

Jeff, I forgot to mention the cookies. Yes, they do have a warning that says "may contain traces...". They are sealed though. But the waiter remembered the allergy and told me ahead of time about the cookie so I wouldn't open the package and give it to my son. Of course, I read the labels for everything but it was good to know that the waiter was on the ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:15 pm 

I took my peanut/nut-allergic son there again today. Another positive experience. The waitress even told us that the reason it took so long for our order to arrive was because they were taking care to prepare the food in a safe area. And no cookie was given.

They state on the adult and children's menus to mention any allergies to the staff. I mentioned this to the hostess even before we were seated and she recommended we mention it again to our waitress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:50 pm 

How excitting - a place to try eating out other than McPiggy's. I am so affraid to take my peanut allergic son to restauants, but I also don't want to hide away from the world. Thanks for the info!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:14 am 

Haven't gone yet, but stopped in to see what my local one was like. They shared the same info as already posted. I took away a "take out" menu and noticed on the back in small print, "ALLERGIES? Should you have any food allergies or food sensitivities, please inform our staff." Nice to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:46 pm 

This is great news we have a gift certificate to use up from Christmas, we'll let you know how it goes soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:05 am 

We like Boston Pizza, too, because the allergy thing seems to be understood when we go. I am the only one who gets pizza (husband and son don't eat cheese, daughter thinks it is too spicy), but we seem to manage ok because there is a big selection.
Caroline

Post subject: Boston Pizza
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:20 pm 

I just read some positive reviews about Boston Pizza, so I decided to try it. I called and spoke the manager. Unfortunately, they do not guarrantee any of their food items for people with peanut and nut allergies. The only food they can guarrantee are the soft drinks and a fruit cup. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Boston Pizza
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:49 pm 

Lynda wrote:
Unfortunately, they do not guarrantee any of their food items for people with peanut and nut allergies.

I haven't ever eaten at Boston Pizza, so I can't specifically comment on their level of "allergy awareness" but I haven't yet come across a restaurant that will guarantee anything regarding the safety of their food for people with food allergies because I think it would just open the door to lawsuits, etc.
I think a more important question for restaurants to answer is "What practices do you have in place to prevent cross-contamination, etc?". Also, does the restaurant/chain have a detailed ingredients listing for their foods? Do they use new cooking utensils for allergic individuals? Do they clean surfaces? Do they have (insert your allergen(s) here) all around the kitchen?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:03 am 

Boston Pizza in our community uses peanut oil so we do not go near that place as my son has a deadly peanut allergy!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:51 pm 

We go to Boston Pizza all the time - we consider it a staple for us. Yes, they have products on the premises that my son is allergic to (nuts, peanuts & eggs) BUT we believe they have excellent controls in place and eat there with confidence.

They have the allergy binder which is very thorough and like many chains, we find their food to be quite "cookie cutter" so the ingreditents don't vary from location to location. I have never seen peanut oil in their ingredient listing so I wonder what they've added to the menu that would include that? Peanut oil is also so very expensive, I've only ever seen it at very high end establishments . . which BP is not.!

They write the allergy on the order in the computer with a ton of exclaimation marks and then after they submit the order to the kitchen, they have to tell the kitchen "Allergy Alert". One time our server said it so loud we could hear him "Allergy Alert" and the kitchen staff repeat "Allergy Alert". It made my son feel very special at the time.

I tend not to use the "guarantee" word when talking about allergies. Nothing in life is guaranteed - the products in my home arn't guaranteed. Like Ethan's Mom, I try to understand their environment and ask lots of questions and make my decision from there. We were at a new Tony Roma's last night and despite having eaten at several other Tony Roma's before, this new one wasn't able to answer our questions in the same way - probably a "new staff" issue, but we were able to walk through it with them and have an enjoyable and safe meal. .