You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pam's bad pizza night
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:52 am 

...so there is this pizza place I love, it's really cheap and really good, and we all love it. YOu can get 2 slices and a pop for $3.50. It's a little hople in the wall, dumpy place, but that's part of the charm...but the problem is they have pesto. And because it's all open, I have read the can, and the pesto has peanuts instead of pine nuts, which are more expensive. And I know this, and I know I am breaking the rules by ordering pizza there, so I always feel guilty. But I always explain and I always ask that they don't cut the pizza, I'll do it at home. Usually, the cashier nods in a vague sort of way, and tells the cook who also nods in a vague sort of way (where you know they don't REALLY understand why you are asking for something so stupid, but they figure "hey the customer is always right, I'll keep the old gal happy"). but this time the cashier keeps saying "WHAT?!" and the guy behind me keeps saying "tell him again" so I tell him three times that my pizza must stay away from the pesto and I'll cut it myself. And I know he really doesn't get it, so I go over to the cook and I explain and he nods in a way that says he gets it, kind of, and continues to put the mushrooms on my pizza, and then he picks up the can of pesto to move it away, and continues to put the mushrooms on our pizza with his cross-contaminated finger. So I tell him that he just put his finger in the pesto. So he is very nice and says "no problem, I'll start over". By this point I am feeling very guilty because I know that God is giving me thumps on the head and I am still getting this pizza. So the pizza comes out of the oven and before I can say anything I hear the swish,swish of the pizza cutter. ARGGGGGGH!

So do I feed Aaron the pizza? Yes, while praying and feeling guilty! I cut little mini wedges inside the cut edges, so he had small triangular slices and the rest of us had pizza fingers. And he was fine. But I am sad and sorry to say we won't be eating there again. SIGH.

We should really do someting about food allergy training in restaurants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:26 am 
Site Admin

Can you pop in when it isn't busy or write them a letter explaining why it is so very important that no pesto, none, not even a smear of the oil from his finger get onto your pizza as if has the potential to kill you child?
If you explain that you are a long standing patron and truly enjoy thier porduct however the last time the pizza was cut when you had gone through a lot of trouble to ensure that the cook was aware that this was not to happen.
If you explain that not only will you not purchase the pizza if this happens again but that they will forever lose your business...
I guess I'm saying that we need to educate the restaurant businesses that we want to do business with - until some one else steps up to the plate. It's hard enough to find one that uses the right ingredients and tastes good! I would give them the info and one more chance but, not pay for nor consume any food that was improperly prepared.
Here is what the Canadian Restaurant and Foodservices Association have to say:
http://www.crfa.ca/resourcecentre/fooda ... ingredinfo

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:31 pm 

Thanks for the ideas and the link, I am going to order some of those brochures.

It's good that the Food Agency seems responsive. :D