You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:35 am 

In passing, someone mentioned to me that the fast food place "Mary Brown's" (they have locations in Ontario, Alberta, Nova Soctia, and Newfoundland) used peanut oil -- I fired off an email to verify and received this response:

http://www.marybrowns.com/

Quote:
April 2007,

Dear Customer:

With a view to avoiding any allergenic or negative reaction when consuming Mary Brown’s products, we have requested and received from all of our suppliers a list of ingredients used in the preparation of the products sold to us by them and which are then utilized by us in preparing the food items sold in this store.

The ingredient lists provided have been analysed as to content by Dr. J.M. DeMan of DeMan Food Technology Services Inc. (an independent food testing service). The results of the analysis are shown on the chart on the other side of this letter.

While we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the suppliers’ lists or assure you that all products sold to Mary Brown’s conform to the lists supplied, we have no reason to believe any inaccuracy exists and sincerely hope the information provided will be of assistance to you.

Yours very truly,

N. Beattie
President and Chief Operating Officer
NB:bm

They also provided a detailed allergen listing in the form of an Excel spreadsheet -- I just can't figure out how to post it here. At any rate, no peanuts, no fish/seafood at all -- only tree nuts present are in their pre-made brownies. (Their listing includes egg, corn, wheat/gluten, sulphites, MSG, milk/lactose, tartrazine, animal fats/oils, fish/seafood, peanuts, nuts/nut products, seed/seed products, vegetable oil)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:46 am 

Just noticed, no mention of soy on that list...curious, I'm going to ask them about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:06 am 

Their response when asked about the "soy" omission:
Quote:
When we did the allergen chart we listed what the Canadian Restaurant and Foodservices Association had as the key list.

Nothing about wanting to include it, given that it is a top allergen in Canada.

I asked about availability of the listing and if there is a policy to update the listing and distribute it to each location if/when ingredients change:
Quote:
Each location has a copy of our allergen information and as changes to our core product is made very rarely we only update every couple of years. The list you have there would be no changes in the core data.