You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:52 pm 

Julie, sorry to hear about your experience.

It takes us months (even years) to figure out how to avoid allergens, but yet we sometimes trust others to understand quickly. I can tell you right now that when I went to cooking school, the only time we discussed food allergies was when I first got in and we discussed how to accomodate me.

Julie mentionned that the chef kept repeating "peanuts" and left out the rest. This is where we have to be carefull and understand that they probably think of the other items on your list as very minor. I once contacted an airline to go on a trip and clearly mentionned my fish allergy. When I got on the plane (pre-boarding to make sure), the stuardess kept talking to me about my peanut allergy... peanut allergy??? I eat peanuts on a daily basis, mine is a fish allergy! Turns out that the person I booked my ticket with only mentionned food allergies, not fish allergy, so they assumed peanuts. They had a salmon and a tuna sandwich lined up for me! (and that's no joke, that was my special peanut-free meal!) Because my allergy was not as severe as it is now, I took the flight anyways, not eating anything for the whole trip. The next trip, I mentionned my fish allergy and they said they could not accomodate me... at least they got the point that it's not PEANUTS!

Mylène

(you may have noticed that I have something against peanut allergies, but it's not personal... it's just that people always want to accomodate me with the stupid peanuts, but never take my fish allergy seriously!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:43 pm 

Hi Mylene, and thank you for your reply. I absolutely agree with you... it took my husband and I a good year to really adjust to our son's allergic condition, so how can we expect others to understand the seriousness of the problem. It is our full responsibility to care for our son. We are lucky that we have very strong support from our family and close friends. I hope I didn't sound like I was criticizing the chef... the situation made it very clear to us that we, as a family, and only us, must ensure that our son eats safely. Thank goodness our son was okay, and that's all that mattered. It was a very important lesson for us. The chef was devasted by the incident... in his 25 years, he had never encountered anything like this, and he was extremely distressed and apologetic. It was horrible for all of us, but thankfully, we all came out of it okay, and he's still the head chef at the resort. I noticed in their most recent newsletter that there was particular mention of their approach to dealing with food allergies, so I'm sure the incident with our family and others was instrumental in their dealing with this very dangerous problem.