You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:36 am 

I went out for Japanese with my mom yesterday and had a small reaction. A day later, my lips are sore and still a little bumpy, and my face/eyes itch. Here is what I had to eat:

California rolls with just rice, sushi and avocado. I have had these before at home with no problems. The plate also came with vegetable tempura, teriyaki chicken and plain rice, plus salad. And miso soup.

At first, I thought maybe it was something in the tempura batter, but we told them about the corn allergy and they said the tempura was fine. Then I thought maybe it was something in the teriyaki sauce on the chicken. I am pretty sure it was not the plain rice or the sushi as I eat these items at home. So, thinking about what was there that I don't eat at home, it's the tempura or the chicken. But then I started thinking, maybe it is the miso as I never eat that at home? But I was tested for soy by the allergist and tested negative. So THEN I started thinking maybe it was the Benadryl I took just in case, because that has corn starch in it. My allergist said corn starch in Benadryl should be okay because the Benadryl counteracts it?

So basically, I have no clue what it was. But I want to find out so I am able to eat safely in these sorts of restaurants. It is not a deadly reaction, just a bit irritating and itchy! I am going to give it a few days to clear up, then try some miso soup at home. If that does not cause a reaction, then I will try a Benadryl again. If none of those do it, should I assume it is the tempura or chicken, and just avoid asian foods in batters or sauces?

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:21 am 

Often, vegetable tempura includes green beans, but you would have noticed that. It could have been a corn-based ingredient in the teriyaki sauce, or it could also have been cross contamination, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Was the oil they cooked the tempura batter in fresh? Do you think it could have been contamnated by having previously been used to cook something containing your allergens?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:27 am 

I would be suspect of the teriyaki too -- do you know what they used as a thickening agent? Maybe corn starch? Also, when asking people about ingredients my experience has been to take what they say with a grain of salt and ask to see something you can review with your own eyes. For example, we went out to Swiss Chalet recently and we informed the Hostess of my son's allergy and she immediately offered that everything was fine for him in the restaurant, but he should just stay away from the desserts. From previous experience, and their allergen guide, I know that their ceasar salad dressing and plum sauce both have warnings for peanut. So I asked for a new guide (thinking that maybe things had changed since our last visit) and they were still listed -- she was visibly surprised and apologized. Well intentioned people make these kinds of mistakes all the time -- allergens can pop up in the strangest of places. I'm sure that's especially true of corn. Why not try asking to see the labels yourself, or ask for them to tell you item by item what went into a dish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:51 pm 

Good point about the oil. I have never actually reacted to a nut even though I tested positive on the skin test, but the allergist said the proteins in oils are much more concentrated and some people have trouble with the oils. My instinct is telling me it was probably the sauce on the chicken. I think I just need to stay away from things with sauces or batters. But I do want to rule out the miso, because if it does turn out that's not what it was, then I can still have salad and miso soup and California rolls and be able to eat in these types of restaurants.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:27 pm 

i would tend to suspect the miso soup as well, since it is a vegatarian (even sometimes vegan) option, the soup base itsself most probably contains corn in some form (as most non meat by prodcut based soup bases do) or cross contamination in the tofu in the form of nuts or peanuts because as a vegan/veggie option it's can be processed with nuts and/or peanuts based products since that's a good protient choice for ppl who don't eat animals