You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Unidentified Allergies
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:42 pm 

I recently had an anaphylactic reacton to eating a prepackaged Rolo Ice Cream Cone - the one with the chocolate cone.

Testing does not reveal what the allergen was.

Anyone else out there with an anaphylactic allergy to something they don't know???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:04 pm 

Yup. My first anaphylactic reaction was to Thai take-out. Tested negative for shellfish, peanuts and all the obvious ones, but it was one of those places where they cook everything on the same surface, so it was impossible to narrow it down further. The doctor thinks it might have been a spice, or possibly an oil of some kind as oils can sometimes be more concentrated than the real ingredient.

I do have to be very careful at Asian restaurants now because there are so many causes, so lots of potential for cornsrach issues. But that is only a skin reaction for me, not anaphylaxis. My doctor basically told me re the unknown reaction to just be sensible about it---don't stop living my life, but if I am going camping int he woods away from medical treatment, perhaps do not take any Asian restaurant food with me :)

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:34 pm 

Might I suggest keeping a food journal. Not the kind that you might think but the kind that you take labels and adhere them to a peice of paper when you h ave a reaction keep the label. I am allergic to a ton of presevatives and that was the only way they found out which ones.

So here is your first Label
MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, CARAMEL SYRUP (MILK INGREDIENTS, SUGAR, WATER, GLUCOSE, CANOLA OIL, COCONUT OIL, BROWN SUGAR, SALT, SODIUM CITRATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOUR, CARRAGEENAN, SOY LECITHIN, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CITRIC ACID), COCONUT OIL, MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, SUGAR, GLUCOSE, PALM OIL, UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE, CARAMEL COLOUR, MONO- AND DIGLYDERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, CELLULOSE GUM, CAROB BEAN GUM, CARRAGEENAN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOUR, SALT.
MADE ON EQUIPMENT THAT ALSO PROCESSES PEANUTS/NUTS.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Our daughters' first anaphylaxic reaction was to a snack made with containers of foods which she had previously eaten out of. We don't keep her allergens in the house.
Could the pita bread have been pst due? Did it have mold on it? (eww) I think I read in the Winter edition of Allergic Living that the ammount of penicillin consummed by snacking on moldy bread (again eww) is very small. Still, it only takes one bite.

We'll never be sure.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb