You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:06 am 

I have a shellfish allergy - anaphylactic (dizzyness/feeling faint symptoms). My allergic reaction has changed since I was diagnosed at 13 and seems to be getting worse (I am 32 now).

I am tired of having to explain to uneducated servers about the "cross contamination" issue and then worrying about their competence/understanding and the kitchen's cleanliness. And, then suffering a reaction and/or enduring anxiety every time I enter a restaurant. So I am opting out of restaurants that carry shellfish on their menus. But, now my problem is finding shellfish-free restaurants in Vancouver.

Is there a list of shellfish-free restaurants in Vancouver? I did a search in the forum but was unsuccessful.

If not, I will compile a list. I have already started making phone calls but I find many restaurants carry shellfish and the ones that don't are vegetarian, (which I am but my boyfriend is not so we need meat selection for him).

Thanks for any comments you may have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:42 am 

I don't know of such a list - I suspect we don't have one, to be honest. That is a great idea to compile one, though.

I sympathize with your situation. I imagine in Vancouver, right there on the coast, it would be hard to find a place that doesn't carry seafood of any kind.

Is there any way your boyfriend could stock up on his meat at lunch (or dinner) and then go without that pleasure for the other main meal? That way you could at least go out together without you feeling such anxiety and risking a reaction.

I mean, he won't have a (physical) reaction if he doesn't eat meat, right? ;)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm 

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Is there any way your boyfriend could stock up on his meat at lunch (or dinner) and then go without that pleasure for the other main meal? That way you could at least go out together without you feeling such anxiety and risking a reaction.

I mean, he won't have a (physical) reaction if he doesn't eat meat, right? Wink

You're right, and he doesn't complain but I just feel sorry for him. Plus, he's a shellfish lover too so he rarely gets to eat it anymore.
It seems there is shellfish everywhere, I went to Germany in June and there were prawns served on the plane (I got faint from smelling it all around me), and most restaurants carried one form of shellfish or another. I wish it would just go out of style. :roll:

Anyway, I'm going to compile a list then post it here. :)