You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Smokers or Non Smokers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:50 pm 

Do You smoke cigarettes.? Why.? Is it because of your own allergies/ your childs. Are you using it as a 'coping mechanism'.? Just wondering

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:50 pm 

No --no one in my immediate family smokes or has ever smoked. It's not something I would have considered doing anyways, but I'm majorly allergic to cigarette smoke so there's one really good reason! I just feel awful the morning after being exposed to smoke. One time I was getting choked up just sitting near someone who is a heavy smoker and whose clothes smelled strongly of smoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:55 pm 

Always reacted to the smoke, and tested positive to tobacco, so it's not just the asthma... never smoked and don't think I could... but I know a lot of people who took up smoking to cope with health problems... I don't understand it, but I just thought I'd pass the info in case that's what you were looking for.

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

I started smoking when I was 12 years old. Back then a pack was $0.67!
I quit 3 months after meeting my husband. I knew that we would get married and start a family and I didn't want to try to quit then.
He still gets freaked out when thinking abut it. Apparently I am more the looking at the future and he is more living in the moment.
I quit several times before this last time. This last time it's been 7 years. I know that I'l never smoke again because I accept that I am addicted and if I try it again I will be hookd and I simply don't want that.
As for coping mechanisms...I come here. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:30 pm 

I smoked for years and years, a pack a day. I had my last cigarette after I looked at the stick on the home pregnancy test that said "+", threw the rest away and have never looked back, that was almost eight years ago. :)

Post subject: Smokers or Non Smokers
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:18 pm 

Thanks. very kindly for your replies, Much appreciated..

Post subject: smoking
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:05 am 

I've never smoked. I tried one or two in high school, but that's it. Why? As a stupid teen it was mostly because of the money. When I was in high school they were $5 a pack.

When I was 5 ( good memory ) I was getting groceries with my parents and wanted a sesame street magazine. My parents said that we could not afford it. My dad then bought cigarettes. I through a huge fit in the store because it wasn't fair that I couldn't have my magazine and my dad could have his cigarettes. I have remembered this all my life. This is the only memory I have of being really young. Probably because I was always reminded of "once you through a huge fit in the grocery store and got the spanking of your life". I've always thought that one day I'd have kids and smoking might financially come before their needs so I never started. I recently told my parents that I've always remembered that to me cigarettes were more important than a sesame street magazine for a child who wanted to read. They were pretty stunned to know that that event turned me off smoking my entire life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:30 am 
Site Admin

Wow! How often do we simpy go through the day unaware fo what our children are absorbing or how they are internalising it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:57 am 

I don't know that I want to think about that one too hard. :lol: Might stop me from talking altogether!! :lol:

Post subject: Re: smoking
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:40 pm 

[quote="saskmommyof2. I recently told my parents that I've always remembered that to me cigarettes were more important than a sesame street magazine for a child who wanted to read. They were pretty stunned to know that that event turned me off smoking my entire life.[/quote]
Does your Dad still smoke.?

Post subject: to monty
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:23 am 

Monty,
No he doesn't. He quit when I was really young , I 'm not sure how long after the grocery store incident ( or if it contributed to his wanting to quit ), but money was a definite factor in his quitting. When he was quitting, he put all his cigarette butts in a jar with some water. The jar was really gross. I guess that was the point. If he wanted a cigarette he would look at the jar and remember how gross cigarettes were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

So Monty,
Do you smoke or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:42 pm 

No, never have, never will. I have astham and enough breathing problem as it is. When I wake up in the morning, I cought like a smoker. I don't even want to think how it would if I smoked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:35 pm 

Youngvader, It sounds like you need a good respirologist! Maybe you've tried everything already, but hopefully there would be a way to keep your asthma more under control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:45 am 

Oh, it's under control. I have not used my emergency pump in years. I think my last two pumps, I threw away without haven taken one dose for the duration of the prescription. Flovent does the job. But I still have a bad cough, but I don't weeze and have shortness of breath like I use to.