You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Montana's Cookhouse
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:46 pm 

I was just looking on line at their allergy guide and it looks not bad for peanut/ tree nuts. I was just wondering if anybody has been there recently and what they thought.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:22 pm 

We do frequent Montana's. Just steer clear of the salads, as with most restaurants, this is where the nuts are stored and applied to them.
Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm 

Hi, you can also see our thread re. no more chapmans at kelseys/montana (a few items lower in the dining out section). Our family is sort of annoyed with them re. their removal of chapman's ice-cream off their menu so they are kind of in my bad-books at the moment (I know, I know get over it :evil: )

son - born 1998, allergy to peanut, nuts, sesame, shellfish and kiwi; a bunch of allergies to plants, animals, etc. and asthma
daughter - born 2003, no known allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:31 pm 

i would suggeset if you go you talk to the manager, it is in the "Cara" chain of stores, and they have some amazing managment training (i worked for one of their stores not in managment) and they are probably a large food company who is the most hypre-aware about cross contamination and are most strict about health and safety (company policy states that teammates should change on sight, and never smoke in uniform, not everyone follows these rules but this is the kind of sanitation base you have), but like a lot of places it's hit and miss for the rest of the staff, and managment can only do so much, but if you have a good manager you most probably have a great team

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:58 pm 

Just thought I woud tell you about our dinner out last night. I have ranted and raved about the lack of Chapman's ice cream (see other thread in this forum about my dealings with Cara). I had kind of put them out of my mind but, one problem, my kids love going there. My son won a math competition medal (first place nationally for 4th grade - ok so I'm a proud mom too) and chose Montana's for our celebration. I spoke to the manager about the usual allergy stuff and our server was absolutely wonderful. For desert my child with no allergies wanted the ice-cream, we hesitate as my child with allergies would have nothing (usually if one can't have it the other won't either). The server came up with a solution - my son got a bowl of "gummy worms" - he was thrilled and everyone was happy. Hoorah as a Montana's has just opened up in Kanata.

son - born 1998, allergy to peanut, nuts, sesame, shellfish and kiwi; a bunch of allergies to plants, animals, etc. and asthma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:43 am 
Site Admin

So nice of the server to understand your predicament and to come up with a solution.

Congratulations the math competition!! First place-he must be very proud. :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:04 pm 

I live in Alberta, and I'm pretty sure Montana's has OPEN-SHELL peanuts in the BAR AREA.... I would strictly avise against going there if you have a smell-related peanut allergy. My sister's throat starts closing up just with smelling peanuts...

no ANAPHYLACTIC reactions (yet...)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:46 am 

Here in Ontario (Ottawa) I have never seen peanuts in the bar area. Perhaps it is different in your province. We go there quite frequently and have found them to be very allergy aware (even though they took Chapman's ice cream away (but that's another story)). It is my kids' favourite restaurant.