You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:00 am 

Hello,

My 8 year old daughter has a life threatening allergy to peanuts, tree nuts, and sesame. We live in Michigan and will be visiting Toronto and Collingwood, Ontario next month. Can you recommed any restaurants in either city, that are nut free or at least sensitive to nut allergies? Thanks.

Nut Free Michigan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:09 am 

Hi there -

I can't help that much since I don't live in that area, but if you take a look in the Dining out forum (where I moved your post to), you may find some suitable places.

One place that I like because they list their menu and allergens online is Swiss Chalet:
- http://www.swisschalet.ca/allergy.php - online format
- http://www.swisschalet.ca/allergy.php - printable PDF

Others who live in the Toronto and Collingwood area may have more suggestions too.

Good luck with your planning and your trip!

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:09 pm 

We live very close to Toronto, and just travelled to Collingwood last week. (We loved it there, by the way, and we stayed at the Westin Trillium House in Blue Mountain Village, which was great because it has a kitchenette - we still brought all of our own food, plastic dishes and tablecloth, because we wanted a completely worry-free and fun holiday). But there are lots of restaurants there, including Swiss Chalet and Subway that are safe for the peanut/tree nut/sesame allergic.

We don't eat out at many restaurants, and we did not eat out in Collingwood, but when we do eat out, we do so in our city and we have occasionally eaten at Swiss Chalet. We have also recently discovered that Dominoes pizza is safe. In addition, we recently ate at Subway (for the first time) after investigating the ingredients. Both Swiss Chalet and Subway ARE in Collingwood, about 5 mins from Blue Mountain Village (I'm not sure about Dominoes, but I think there would likely be a location there). Firstly, at Swiss Chalet, for our son we order the rotisserie chicken with the chicken Swiss Chalet dipping sauce, with the fries, bun, house salad with the house dressing (which tastes exactly like Kraft Catalina). I would personally not try anything else except for the baked potato and steamed veggies (a combo of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots (I believe)) Secondly, regarding Subway, I emailed Subway Canada with regards to their ingredient list since the Nutrition tab on the website indicated the ingredient list for allergens included was only for the U.S., but they assured me it was valid for Canada as well. We've only eaten at Subway the one time, but we were very impressed with the particular location we visited which is close to our house. Because we are dealing with sesame allergy as well, breads are pretty much never safe, but the bread and bun at Subway and Swiss Chalet does not contain sesame. I would verify all of this for yourself to make sure you feel comfortable. Have a great holiday! If you need to ask any more questions, please feel free to do so.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:34 pm 

Julie - I know this is an old post but I am curious about Subway. I have always been told by the employees at Subway that they bake their cookies (which contain nuts) on the same trays as the bread... so they are fairly certain it isn't safe for people with nut allergies.

I am curious about where you found your information?