You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:33 am 

My 15 yr old (nut allergies) is heading on a school trip to Ottawa next week. They are planning to eat dinner at Tuckers Marketplace and Richtree. I believe both of those are buffet style restaurants and I am concerned. One of the teachers going on the trip has a peanut allergic son (so he GETS the allergy thing) and he said that the tour company has verified that they will be able to accommodate her allergies for dinner. He will be closely watching over her and making sure everything is OK. Lucky for us, one of the parent chaperones is a pediatrician so at least if anything goes wrong there will be people who know what to do.
I would like someone's first hand experience at either of these restaurants so I can be even more reassured. My husband is in Ottawa on business this week so he was going to call the restaurant as well but I say you can't be overly cautious.

It's hard enough for me to let her go all that way without us!! It's going to be a long week. We are going to send her with as much snack food as she can squish into her suitcase.

Then there's all the other rest stops along the way to worry about. PEI to Ottawa is a long drive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Why don't you contact the tour company directly and ask how they plan to accomodate your daughter? One person's idea of accomodation can be drastically different from another persons.

They may serve foods other than the from the buffet-I don't know. It's great that your husband happens to be in Ottawa this week and can scout around! It's also great that one of the chaperones is a Dr.

I hope all goes well.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:38 pm 

Hi Islandmother,

I've been to the Ottawa Tuckers Marketplace and it's fantastic as far as allergies are concerned. Their kitchen manager, Blake, really gets it and is always willing to take the time to accommodate. I've only ever had positive experiences there, and usually at their busiest times!

As for Richtree, I'm pretty sure it's a marche-style place in the Rideau Centre. If I'm wrong, ignore this. But frankly, I wouldn't eat there. It's basically bins of muffins, croissants, sandwich stuff etc. There seems to be high-potential for cross-contamination, which is also true for Tucker's, but at Tucker's there is a kitchen where they can make you stuff separately. Not sure if that's the case for Richtree. If it is in the Rideau Centre, is your son old enough to just go to the Food court if it's safe there? I know there is a Subway, New York Fries, Tim Horton's, etc.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: back from Ottawa
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:21 pm 

Thanks for the comments everyone! My daughter came back yesterday safe and sound with no incidents.
Interestingly, her comments match what you guys said. She found Tuckers to be absolutely wonderful and the chef took her around personally and told her what was OK and what to avoid. It was the best meal of the week for her.
She was not at all impressed with Richtree. They had told her the pasta station was OK but it was right beside the stir fry station and she was sure she saw the cook reusing the same bowl/pan for both. She ended up not trusting most of it and ended up eating some awful soup and not much more.
The Holiday Inn was also quite accommodating and gave her her own individual box of Cheerios for breakfast since she couldn't have the muffins, pastries etc... they had for everyone else.
I am going to pass her comments along to the tour company so that they know for the next time. One more school trip (Halifax next time) to go!