You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:05 pm 

This summer I am getting married. I am planning on making most of the food and asking the caterer to do some warming up (meat and mains) and some chopping (salad accompanyments).
How do I go about explaining that I don't want any cross contamination, outside food in the kitchen anything added to our meal, etc. The cateres have a restaurant and I don't want them using their kitchen but the one in the hall (small town wedding). They are to use my ustencils, cutting board, dish rags, soap, cutlery plates, glasses, mugs, platters.

More importantly how do I know that I am getting through to them so that this isn't like that blah, blah ginger far side cartoon mentionned in the wedding storries?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:29 am 

Maybe have something in writing stating what procedures you expect them to follow and have them sign it. Let them know that if they don't follow your instructions that it could result in someone's death...that should get there attention!
I always hate having to go to weddings because of the dinner and not being able to eat, at least you know providing it yourself it will be safe.
Good luck and congratulations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:54 am 

I would suggest you start by asking what their policies are regarding allergies. If they have none, then they likely are not going to learn and understand everything.

Last year one of my sons went looking for a caterer that would *get it* for his wedding. They were able to find a peanut/nut free caterer who also didn't use any seeds. There were a few *may contain* items, but those were prepared by another company.

My son was adamant that his mom was not going to brown bag it at his wedding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

AnnaMarie wrote:

My son was adamant that his mom was not going to brown bag it at his wedding.

:) You raised him well!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb