Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Uh-oh Christmas parties
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a big old softie about Xmas. But there is one thing about this season that I find irksome - the office parties. I've got one next week; it's the husband's, so must attend.

As usual, I'll have to eat before going, then watch everyone else munching and drinking stuff I can't touch. Sometimes I enjoy the conversation, but I sure don't enjoy being quizzed about why I'm not eating. And the food choices at these things make me wonder if some caterers have never heard of allergies.

At one party last year, the pretty pink and white centrepiece "tree" was made of shrimp.
How festive - a tree of death for some of us! I didn't hang around for the inevitable double-cheek shrimp kisses.

Do others of you go to such parties? Or do you all just avoid them? /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

I find office Christmas parties a real bore.
I prefer parties with friends and family who I hope are more sensitive to our issues.
I try to bring something which can be shared and take the first helping for our daughter (before it gets contaminated) or have a separate container of the same food (kept with me at all times).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:34 am 

I just don't go. And if anyone has a problem with that... well I don't give a damn. Safety first. That's my motto. Better safe than sorry. Fortunately, my coworkers and my boss are understanding on that issue so I don't get into any trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:19 am 

because we are a small group at work, we have a party where I can attend. We changed the format of the usual Christmas party when I first started... we now do a pot luck at someone's house. Everyone knows my allergies, so they cook without them even if I don't eat what they offer me (and that they know not to be insulted about ;) ). We do that for all "food occasions" and it's great! 2 years ago, we even started to do competitions. The first year everyone had to bring their best "tourtière" (meat pies) and last year it was spaggetti sauce! Who's got the best recipe in the group? Everyone, except me of course, takes a little from each and we vote (I vote by look and smell ;) ).

It's a great twist on an event that everyone thought would be gone because of me... 5 years ago, a few complained... now we just can't wait for Monday's meeting to decide what's this year's competition!!!

Mylène

Post subject: Uh-oh Christmas parties
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:49 am 

I just wont attend any more, not worth it.

Last edited by monty on Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:30 am 

Mylene, it's great to hear that your colleagues plan parties that you can actually attend.

I attend Christmas parties where there are nuts, but they add an element of anxiety to the day. In the recent past, I have requested that family Christmas parties be free of nuts.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:36 pm 

I got invited to another Christmas office lunch yesterday... I recieved the general e-mail invitation sent to all (over a 100 of us...) and then a quick e-mail just to me specifiying that the caterer has already been notified of my fish allergy and has assured them that they will not be any... and that it will be reconfirmed a couple of days before the event... :shock: I never had any luck with that group before, but I guess the word spread around in the last weeks that I actually missed over a week of work because of a reaction!

I guess I have some well-placed people on my side ;)

Mylène
(I'm still nervous in food related events, but I do enjoy it...)