You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:36 pm 

I hope this is not a problem that I am rather advising, and sharing experiences rather than asking a question, but I think it's helpful for people who have not themselves worked in a restaurant as a waitress.

I have served very few customers with allergies, but when they come around I make absolutely sure that I make it clear to the cook that such and such can't have eggs near her steak or whatever it may be.

I have had one little girl who was allergic to eggs, and even though it was no longer breakfast, and the cooks do cook things separately, I stressed to whoever was making my order that no eggs can touch this meal.

As a start, smile and be nice. I don't know about other servers but this is a stressful job as many customers seem to think that we are the maid for them and they can talk to us anyway they like. If you're nice, you're more likely to get what you want in a timely manner and know that it was done the way you wanted.

Secondly, always make sure to mention that it IS an allergy. if you just say no nuts on your salad, a sever may forget, and take it back and just remove the nuts, not remake the whole salad.

Try to remember everything all at once. It hurts when you have someone ask for something, and their modified meal and then when you return with their drink, you also add what else you don't want. Most likely your meal is in the process of being made, and it's wasteful for the company and you yourself will have to wait longer. If your or someone with you has many allergies, it helps to make a list. :D Lists make people happy. :D

And as was posted on this forum from an article, please don't make outrageous requests and then get upset when we can't change it for you. Raging anger is not good for anyone. If a sauce has certain vegetables in it that you can't eat, unfortunately we can't siphon that off for you.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way but rather as something informative. I am in no way trying to be mean or attacking. :) I hope this was helpful for someone out there. :D Thanks for reading.

My Allergies: Intolerances, stuff in spring/summer air, certain jewelry, cats, dogs, and, grass, and possibly others!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 am 

I found your post very interesting. It's nice to get feedback from people who are on the other side of the fence, so to speak. You sound like a great waitress. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:34 am 

Thank you, I'm glad you found it helpful/interesting. :D I like to tell as many people how to "act" in a restaurant as I'm outraged on how people bring their outside beliefs and thoughts and feelings(Anger, racism, prejudice, etc) and bring it inside with them. And also it helps make the customers feel better...though it is also the servers as well because some of them are not too nice.

My Allergies: Intolerances, stuff in spring/summer air, certain jewelry, cats, dogs, and, grass, and possibly others!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:40 pm 

I found this helpful, too, and not at all attacking. It's absolutely good information to have. We don't eat out much now, but hope to start going out more!

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

Treece, very good post. Always good to see things from the other side of the fence.

Reasonable requests / behaviour always are better accommodated. And you're right, changing orders after the fact is costly to restos, and that's not fair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:50 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I think it does help to know the 'other side'.

We made a card with a list of allergies that the server took to the kitchen so we didn't have to wonder if they would remember all of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:42 pm 

I' glad everyone appreciates this, and that's a good idea with the card Walooet. :D