You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:51 am 

In regards to Peanuts/Tree Nuts:

Each NYF unit cuts whole fresh potatoes daily and the potatoes are soaked in fresh cold water with no additives. The Fries are cooked in non-hydrogenated sunflower oil and lightly salted before serving. Fries are the only menu item cooked in the oil.

The Cheese Curds, NYF Gravy, Cajun and California Seasonings, Chili and Cheese Sauce are manufactured in plants that are free of peanuts and tree nuts. The NYF Hot Dog does not include any nuts. The Hot Dog Bun is manufactured in a plant and on a line that contains sesame seeds although our product does not include them.

For your information, when the fryers are shipped to our units, the inside surface is coated in peanut oil. After installation, the fryers are boiled out and then filled with sunflower oil. NYF procedures call for the frying oil to be filtered daily and the fryers to be cleaned. Additionally, the fryers are boiled out every few weeks.

It is important to note that our units are not designated peanut or nut free; therefore, customers or employees may bring all food products to our counters or into our locations.

Thanks for your email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:37 am 

Good to know - thanks for posting that.

I'm wondering if I should be worried about the fact that fryers are coated in peanut oil by the manufacturer? I was told by my allergist that any peanut oil made in North America is refined enough that it no longer contains proteins and would theoretically safe for PA people to eat. So, given that, and given the procedures they use to 'boil out' and replace with sunflower oil, etc, it would seem safe for a PA and TNA person to eat?

We never really eat at malls so I haven't given my kids their fries, but it's good to know for future reference.