You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:52 pm 

I have a severe allergy to peanuts and this past March I was at a restaurant called Yama Sushi in North York. Upon arriving at the restaurant, I asked if there were any peanut or peanut products used in the kitchen or in the restaurant at all, the waitress went to ask the chef and came back with her response and said ‘no’. Then again prior to ordering food, I mentioned my allergy several times and again was verified by two different waitresses that no peanut products are used. My meal began with a salad, after 3 bites my lips began to tingle, followed by having a hard time swallowing which then led to my body going numb. I went into anaphylactic shock, had to have my EpiPen, was rushed by ambulance to the hospital where I spent the next 9hrs being monitored. Thanks to my EpiPen and the fast reactions of the people I was with, I am alive and can tell my story.

Prior to my reaction the waitress said the salad dressing was made on site and she listed the ingredients –no where in her list of ingredients were peanuts. After my reaction occurred the people I was with demanded to see the salad dressing bottle and to our surprise the dressing wasn’t made on site and the second ingredient was peanut!

If the wait staff at Yama Sushi were not sure exactly what was in all aspects of the dressing, then they should have relayed this information to me, which would have prevented all of this from occurring. I do feel staff at restaurants need to be more aware about allergies and take them more serious.

I am not sure if my story will help but I write this in the hope of stopping such an occurrence from happening to someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:46 pm 

Erica, How fortunate that your friends/family are so aware of how to deal with your peanut allergy. Thankfully you are ok although I'm sure it was quite the ordeal for you to go through.
Hugs to you, thanks for sharing your story.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

That's awful Erica. I hope you are feeling better after that scare.

I think so many people just don't get that you have to read ingredients - it's not just about "no peanuts are in the dish".
With anaphylactic allergies to peanut, soy and shellfish - I just can't eat out at Asian restaurants any more. Too high risk for me.

Still you did warn them; they did assure you. If the chef wasn't sure, he should have said so. Sorry to hear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:36 pm 

Thank you for your replies, they are very much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:20 pm 

How frightening!! I'm so glad you're ok!

We've been extremely cautious since finding out about DS's anaphylaxis. I've been advised by many to just live as normal, and to be sure to inform the wait staff of his allergy, and ask about ingredients. Although I have asked at some of my favorite restaurants, I wasn't comfortable with the answer (generally too quick and dismissive 'no we don't use any peanuts'), and we won't eat or get take out from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:54 am 

Thanks for your comments.

It was very frieghtening and I really hope it never happens again.

I have always been cautious when eating out but I find now I just really don't trust restaurants. If I have any doubt, then I simply just don't eat there.

As well when this whole incident took place, the staff at the restaurant never came over to see if I was okay, nor did they apologize or show one bit of compassion. Absolutely mind boggling!