You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

We went to a wedding last night and there was some good and some not so good.

First the good:
I contacted the restaurant and they were very understanding and helpful. They have good understanding of severe food allergies and this was very evident right down to the reply. " I will personally look after serving your daughter prior to dinner service. I have a nephew with these same issues (as well as having worked in a child care environment with children with severe allergies) and am very familiar and comfortable ensuring that there will be very little risk of cross contamination. Please introduce yourself at the beginning of the event and I will be happy to help you out in whatever way I can. I will also introduce you to another server who will be made fully aware of your situation in the event that I am busy in the kitchen, she can be your liaison to me.
Thank you for your advanced notification of this matter.
We will also be hosting a "cocktail" hour for D & A with some "nibbles" prior to dinner, please feel free to bring along a snack for your daughter for that time period as well as anything else that will make her evening more enjoyable."

Our daughter had a great time with smoked salmon, cheese, veggies and crackers as well as a shrimp ring to herself. She had a fine time foodwise. I'm too anxious to trust others to her meal (control freak) and I just find it easier to make her food and bring it. I have several small coolers and pack one for the dinner to hand over to the kitchen and one I keep with me with hors d'ouevers, drinks and dessert.
Her dinner was homemade ravioli that she helped me make (which makes it more special) and her dessert was an apple turnover (Pillsbury Crescent Rolls dough filled with chopped apples and cinammon sugar the pastry sprinkled with sugar before baking)

She danced the night away with us, other children but mainly by herself!

The negative and it wasn't so negative as it was an issue that I will remember to ask about in the future.

There was a kiddy table...yeah, we wouldn't have been OK with that given the menu and the age of the children seated at the table.

Because we had told the bride and groom that we were bringing R's food, they forgot to count her when planning the place settings. That was good in a way because they didn't seat her at the kiddy table. I simply spoke to the restaurant staff and they quickly squeezed her in between her father and I.

The party favours (bon bons) were...bags of candied peanuts.
I managed to casually and quietly (but quickly) mention to those at our table that R was severely allergic to these which prompted them to corral the nuts on the other side of the table. They were happy to do so and they got to take our two bags of nuts in return for this favour.

The wedding party had purchased activity books for the children to occupy their time during the cocktail hour and R was very good about noticing and not making a fuss that she didn't have one. The father of the groom did eventually bring one over, he said they had an extra one and now realized where it whom it was meant for. She was very gracious. (Oh the things our children have to learn!)

All in all it was a wonderful event. She became quite friendly with the restaurant staff and even had the Special Events Manager
on the dance floor dancing to Hannah Montana's Hoe Down Throw Down!

The restaurant is Temple's Sugar Camp just past Carleton Place and it was great. They are a real maple sugar camp and the restaurant is built like an old fashioned bard. The floor boards were even old maple trees damaged during the Ice Storm of '98. You can see the tap holes where they drilled into the trees to collect the sap. We'll definately go back in March during maple sugar season!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: Re: Wedding
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:12 pm 

Sounds like a positive night!!

I'd love to know the recipe for your homemade ravioli.

boys' mom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:28 am 

Susan, Glad to hear your daughter had a great time at the wedding and the chef was able to prepare a safe meal! That's really fantastic to hear that they could deal with a number of food allergies. My brother is getting married next weekend, but we are bringing all of our son's food. We've had some bad experiences in the past with others preparing his food in a restaurant, so we have opted to bring his food. At least we will be able to relax and have a good time! I already know that my brother has purchased nut-encrusted candy apples for all of the kids at the wedding - something different for our kids. I will encourage all the kids at the wedding (my nieces and nephews) to please eat their candy apples elsewhere.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:08 am 
Site Admin

Julie- The restaurant didn't prepare a safe meal but heat her safe meal (which we brought with us). There are very few people I trust to make my daughters food and from what I know about busy restaurants (and it's not much) I would not trust them, especially when they're super busy trying to serve large groups of patrons at the same time.

Let's hope for good weather so the kids can all eat those apples outside!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:47 am 

Susan, I just reread your original post and I'm sorry I missed reading that you did, in fact, bring your daughter's meal! Depending on the timing of these things, we will sometimes bring our son's meal in a thermos, but we also have a pyrex with a lid in an insulated bag that can be kept hot or cold. Have you seen these? They can only keep a hot meal "hot" for up to 2 hours, so it's a bit limiting. A thermos is better in this case. We have a large family with a lot of kids, and they are very respectful of our son's allergies, so I know they will understand and wouldn't dream of eating these nuts around him. We are driving our 2 nephews and niece home with us, so they all know they have to wash their hands when they are in our vehicle or in our house. Our son is accustomed to being around food that he can't eat on a frequent basis. Yesterday, at school, there was a lesson on fractions, for which they used apples that the children could later eat - but not our son - he is allergic to fresh apples! He is now dealing with his food allergies with a maturity that is surprising to me, and it didn't phase him at all that he could not eat the apples (they were all brown and not very appetizing anyway!)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 am 
Site Admin

No problem, Julie. I usually just place food in plastic containers and have them heat the food in a microwave. I seem to have a thing about insulated bags and I buy them like some women buy shoes!

I carry a black grocery bag with 2 insulated bags. One to leave with the kitchen and one to carry with me for snacks etc. I also carry wipes and the medication in the bag.

These kids are remarkably mature but also, so are their freinds. They really seem to get the fact that they can help to keep them safe and they want to. I am often touched by the nuturing behaviour of small children...when does that leave them? It seeems to be something we outgrow-pity.